The best way to do this is by using a utility called SeaTools. It will
run as a bootable CD in DOS, and will perform a series of systematic
test to check the physical intergrity of the drive.
To get SeaTools running:
1. Go to seagate.com 2. Click on “Download SeaTools for DOS now! .” You will
need to accept a license agreement and fill out a small form to access
the download area.
3. Choose “ISO CD-ROM Image” and save the file to your desktop.
4. When the download is complete, right-click on it and choose “Extract
All.” You will end with a file that ends in .iso on your desktop.
5. Click Start > All programs > Nero > Nero OEM > Nero Express.
6. Choose “Disc image or Saved Project” in the “What would you like to
7. In the “Open” window, choose the Desktop in the “Look in” window, and
choose the .iso file you just downloaded to the desktop, then choose “Open.”
8. Leave everything on the default settings, and press Next when prompted.
9. Once the CD finishes burning, leave it in your drive and reboot the
computer. it should boot automatically to the CD and begin running
SeaTools. If not, reboot and press F-8, then choose to boot from the CD
(which may show up as “PM Lite-On…”).
10. For each drive, choose the Long test. This is the most accurate
test, and will find problems with the drive if they are present.
Alternatively, you can use Seagate’s SeaTools Desktop utility. Follow
these instructions to get it set up:
1. Go to www.seagate.com 2.
Click on “Download SeaTools for Windows now!”
3. Read and accept the license agreement.
4. Click on the “DOWNLOAD NOW” button. If you get rediected to a
another browser screen with illegible text, then right-click
(control-click if you are downloading on a Mac) on the “DOWNLOAD NOW”
button and save the file to your desktop. The file will download as a
4a. If you download the file from another computer, save it to a
removable device (CD, USB drive, etc.) and copy the file to your
Creation Station’s desktop.
5. Go to Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View, and uncheck
“Hide extensions for known file types.
6. On the downloaded SeaTools text file, you will see “.msi.txt” as an
extension. Delete the “.txt.” The file will now change into a .msi
7. Double-click on the file to launch the installer.
8. Once SeaTools is installed, go to C: > Program Files > Seagate >
SeaTools Desktop, and launch SeaTools.
Within the SeaTools interface, you can perform a variety of tests.
After SeaTools tests each drive, it will give you a report on the test.
If any of them fail on your Creation Station, please contact tech