Follow these steps to use Kontakt in Garageband:
– Create a new track and then double-click the track in the timeline.
(any preset will work – but it is advisable to keep it in a similar instrument family)
– In the Track popup window, click on the Details pull-down arrow.
– Under Generator, select Kontakt from the pulldown menu.
– Select Manual and click on the Edit button.
– The Kontakt window will pop up.
– From here, you can select one preset (Garageband can not use multichannel instruments).
– To save this as a preset you can call up in Garageband, click on the Save Instrument button.