The following instructions are for older OEM copies of Sonar 4 LE that come bundles with hardware. Newer system that include Sonar 6 LE DO NOT need to use these steps. The installer is natively supported in Vista, so it will work normally simply by double-clicking on the setup file. You can verify your version by looking at the numbers printed on the disk. Sonar 4 LE will have “CWSL-4.00″ printed on the disk.
To obtain a downloaded copy of Sonar 6 LE, you can call Cakewalk support directly at 1-888-CAKEWALK.
If you choose to install Sonar 4 LE on Vista, then follow these steps. In order to perform the following steps, you must log on to Windows as a user who has administrative privileges.
1. Close all currently running software (applications).
2. Place the installation CD-ROM in your computer’s CD-ROM drive.
* If the auto-play dialog box appears, choose [Cancel].
3. From the Windows Start menu, choose “Computer.”
4. The screen will show the drives detected by your computer. Choose the CD-ROM drive -> CAKEWALK folder -> SONAR_LE folder, and then double-click [SETUP].
5. The screen will indicate “An unidentified program wants access to your computer”; click [Allow].
6. The installer will start up. Follow the on-screen directions to proceed with the installation.
7. When the installer has finished, right-click the SONAR LE icon that was created on your desktop.
8. In the menu that appears, choose [Properties].
9. Choose the “Compatibility” tab, and in “Privilege Level,” select “Run this Program as an administrator” and click [OK].
This completes the installation.
When installation is finished, you’ll need to activate SONAR LE.
* Before you begin the activation process, make sure that your computer is connected to the Internet.
1. Double-click the SONAR LE icon on your desktop; SONAR LE will start up.
2. The screen will indicate “An unidentified program wants access to your computer”; click [Allow].
3. Start up SONAR LE; the online activation screen will appear. Select “Take me to www.cakewalk.com to register now.” and click [OK].
* If you have already obtained the serial number, proceed to step 8.
4. Your Web browser will start up, and the Cakewalk online activation form will appear. Proceed with activation as directed by the form. The serial number for your software will be sent to you by e-mail.
5. Close your Web browser and SONAR LE. Note the serial number that was sent to you by e-mail.
6. Double-click the SONAR LE icon on your desktop; SONAR LE will start up.
7. The screen will indicate “An unidentified program wants access to your computer”; click [Allow].
8. SONAR LE will start up, and the online activation screen will appear. Select “I registered, and was emailed the following Serial Number:”, then enter the serial number and click [OK].
This completes activation of SONAR LE.
[Cakewalk VST Adapter]
If your VST plug-ins are not registered correctly, follow the steps below to execute VST Adapter.
1. From the Windows Start menu, choose “All Programs”-“Cakewalk”-“Cakewalk VST Adapter 4,” and then right-click “Cakewalk VST Adapter 4.”
2. From the menu that appears, choose “Run as administrator.”
3. The screen will indicate “An unidentified program wants access to your computer”; click [Allow].
4. Cakewalk VST Adapter will start up. Follow the on-screen instructions to find and register your VST plug-ins.
Online help for the following functionality is not displayed.
– MIDI Plug-in
– Audio Plug-in (can be displayed for Spectra FX)
– Time Stretch
If you start up SONAR LE by double-clicking a project file (cwp, cwb), the following error message will appear.
“Windows cannot find ‘(path of the project file)’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.”
Simply close the error message, and you’ll be able to use SONAR LE normally.
The SONAR LE programs themselves are provided on the CD-ROM included with your product.