When Accuracy Is Not an Option
Georg Neumann unveiled his first microphone — the CMV 3 — in 1928. So when Neumann, a company synonymous with the finest condenser microphones, turned its attention to studio monitors, the implications were serious. After all, mics and speakers are both transducers. Neumann's KH 120 nearfield studio monitor demonstrates the no-compromise sound quality and impeccable build standards you can expect from Neumann. The "KH" in the product name stands for Klein + Hummel, a company long associated with world-class professional monitoring, now folded into the Sennheiser group and being marketed under the Neumann brand. The KH 120 is ideal for tracking, mixing, and mastering in music, broadcast, and post-production studios.
The Mathematically Modeled Dispersion waveguide
The magnetically-shielded aluminum cabinet is loaded with a long-throw, composite-sandwich 5.25" woofer and a titanium-fabric 1" dome tweeter, each driven by an onboard 50-watt high-headroom Class AB amplifier. The front baffle incorporates Neumann's Mathematically Modeled Dispersion (MMD) waveguide, which helps produce a broad sweet spot and smooth off-axis response. In a stereo configuration, the KH 120 delivers a stable image with a satisfying sense of depth.
A monitor worthy of the Neumann badge
The KH 120's frequency response is smooth and natural, delivering bass remarkably well for this size monitor. Its midrange presentation is detailed and revealing, neither overly forward nor recessive. The KH 120 is fitted with a full complement of control settings for integrating it into a variety of acoustical environments. Sweetwater's take? You can confidently make critical EQ and mix placement decisions with this speaker. The KH 120 is a true reference monitor, and worthy of the Neumann badge.
Neumann KH 120 Features:
- Compact bi-amplified nearfield studio monitor
- 5.25" low-frequency driver (50W), 1" high-frequency driver (50W)
- Elliptical Mathematically Modelled Dispersion (MMD) waveguide provides smooth off-axis response and accurate monitoring in non-ideal acoustical environments
- Powerful titanium fabric dome tweeter delivers low-distortion and high-frequency reproduction
- Composite sandwich cone woofer designs dampen breakup modes and reduce harmonic distortion
- Free-field frequency response: 52Hz to 21kHz (+/-3dB)
- Self-generated noise (with input gain set to 100dB for 0dBu): <20dB(A) at 10cm
- Maximum SPL: (half space at 3% THD at 1m): 111.1dB SPL, averaged 100Hz to 6kHz
- Crossover frequency: 2kHz
- Crossover slope: 24dB/octave, 4th order
- Bass equalization: 0dB, -2.5dB, -5dB, -7.5dB
- Mid equalization: 0dB, -1.5dB, -3dB, -4.5dB
- High equalization: +1dB, 0dB, -1dB, -2dB
- Protection circuitry: low and high limiter
- Input: XLR, >10 kOhms
- Input gain control (sensitivity): -15dBu to 0dBu
- Output level control: 94dB, 100dB, 108dB, 114dB SPL