Digidesign has announced SoundFuel Solid, a new software synthesizer for Pro Tools HD systems. Solid is designed to recreate the warm, analog sounds of ’70s and ’80s synthesizers while also offering modern patches that are perfect for dance or electronic music. Solid is low-latency and DSP-efficient. Two oscillators can provide analog waveforms for subtractive synthesis or function as FM operators. Using Dynamic Groups, users can manipulate almost any combination of parameters in real time. Solid comes with 250 sounds ranging from rich, smooth pads to aggressive leads to deep basses.
Bite The Hand That Feeds You
If you’re a Mac-using NIN fan, Trent Reznor has something for you: you can download “The Hand That Feeds,” a new song from Nine Inch Nails in GarageBand format and listen to it or tear it apart and put it back together again. You’ll need at least a G4, 512MB of RAM, and GarageBand 2.0.
Hard Software or Soft Hardware
The newest addition to the Waves line of hardware products is the MaxBCL, which comprises Renaissance Compressor, MaxxBass, and L2 Maximizer. The box is designed for live sound, recording, and broadcast applications.
In other Waves news, the company says they are ready for Tiger, the soon-to-be-released version of Apple’s OS X operating system. Mac users will receive instructions on how to update their PACE InterLok protection systems.
Listen To This
International Noise Awareness Day was April 20, which means you missed celebrating it again this year. But all is not lost; May is Better Hearing Month. So you can still take steps to protect one of your most valuable assets: your hearing. The House Ear Institute (HEI) has lots of info that can help.
And The Winners Are…
For the sixth year in a row, journalists from 58 magazines from around the world gathered together to vote on the best products of the past year in 40 categories. The MIPAs (Musikmesse International Press Award) are presented at Musikmesse, the massive tradeshow held each year in Frankfurt, Germany. The complete list of nominees and winners is on the MIPA site, but here are a few of the highlights:
- Best Innovative Product: Apple GarageBand
- Drum Microphone: Sennheiser Evolution 900 Series
- Electric Bass: Line 6 Variax Bass
- Electric Guitar: Paul Reed Smith 513
- Acoustic Guitar: Martin D-28
- Guitar Combo: Fender CyberTwin
- Guitar Effects: Line 6 PodXT Live
- Strings: Elixir Nanoweb
- Synthesizer (Hardware): Access Virus
- Sampler (Hardware/Software): Steinberg Halion 3
- Stage Piano: Roland RD-700
- Keyboard Workstation: Korg Oasys
- Sound Library: Apple Jam Pack
- Software Instrument: Korg Legacy Collection
- Organ/Portable Keyboard: Clavia Nord Electro 2
- Portable Sound: JBL SRX 700
- Live Microphone: AKG WMS 4000
- Mixing Desk (Project Studio): Yamaha DM-2000
- Studio Microphone: AKG C 414 B-XLII
- Studio Monitor (Nearfield): Genelec 8000 Series
- Surround Tools: Steinberg Nuendo
- Recording Software: Cakewalk SONAR 4
- Desktop Recording Workstation: TASCAM 2488
- Recording I/O Device: MOTU 828mkII
- Recording Hardware: Digidesign Pro Tools HD
- Recording Effects: Native Instruments Guitar Rig
- Groove Box: Roland MC-909
- DJ-Software/DJ Tools: Ableton Live 4
In sad news, composer/educator Don Ray passed away Saturday, April 16. In 1956 Ray joined the CBS-TV Music Department as music supervisor and composer on such shows as G.E. Theater, Playhouse 90, Twilight Zone, Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Wild Wild West, Gilligan’s Island, and Hawaii Five-O. He created the Film Scoring Program at UCLA’s Department of the Arts in 1968. He was an author, conductor, composer, music critic, and more.
Vodka and Caviar
If you happen to be in St. Petersburg, Russia on June 16 and 17, drop by the LenExpo Main Exhibition Centre and check out the Eastern European Music Convention (EEMC) 2005. In addition to a trade show exhibition, there will be conferences covering copyright, new technologies and entertainment market development, and international marketing and distribution.