Put a Tiger in Your Mac!
Meet the world's most advanced operating system. Again. Find what you're looking for. Get information with a single click. Create. Explore. Share. Mac OS X Tiger makes it easier than ever to find, access, and enjoy everything on your computer. For the inside scoop on hardware/software compatibility and Tiger, visit Sweetwater's Tiger Compatibility forum.Apple Mac OS X Tiger at a Glance:
- New search power, expanded user interface capability, and automation flexibility
- Spotlight performs lightning-fast system searches
- Customizable Dashboard displays essential information
- Upgraded Safari web browser
- Increased compatibility with Windows files
- New Automator makes repetitive tasks painless
New search power, expanded user interface capability, and automation flexibility
Mac OS X Tiger will change the way you use a computer. Breakthrough search technology, stunning graphics and media, unparalleled connectivity, an intuitive user interface, and a virtual toolbox chock full of cleverly integrated features - all atop a rock-solid UNIX foundation - make Mac OS X Tiger the most innovative, stable, and compatible desktop operating system on the planet.
OS X Tiger Spotlight performs lightning-fast system searches
Mac OS X Tiger introduces Spotlight, the lightning-fast search technology that illuminates every corner of your Mac, displaying results as fast as you type. Search everything on your system: files, emails, contacts, images, movies, calendars, and applications appear instantly. Just as you find songs on iTunes by name, artist, or album, Mac OS X Tiger's Spotlight results take you way beyond mere filename and location. They include all the metadata inside files - the "what, when, and who" of everything on your Mac - including the kind of content, the author, edit history, format, size, and many more details.
Spotlight finds all of your stuff, of course, but it also finds system stuff, too. Use Spotlight as a quick application launcher. There's plenty of applications that you use occasionally but don't need cluttering up your Dock all the time. Simply activate Spotlight with Command+Space, type in a few letters, say 'Gra' for Grapher, then use the arrow keys to start the app.
Organize your files instantly
Because Spotlight is built right into the core of Mac OS X Tiger, it automatically updates results whenever files change, giving you countless new ways to organize your Mac. Save search results as a Smart Folder that automatically updates itself. Set up Smart Mailboxes according to Spotlight search queries and Mail files away your messages for you. Create Address Book Smart Groups using Spotlight search results. With Mac OS X Tiger you can even drag and drop Spotlight searches into new Automator Workflows to automate repetitive tasks.
OS X Tiger customizable Dashboard displays essential information
The new Dashboard In Mac OS X Tiger hosts nifty mini-applications called widgets that appear instantly and keep you up to date with timely information from the Internet. View stocks, check weather forecasts, track flights, convert currency and units of measure, even look up businesses in the phone book. Similar to Exposé, the Dashboard zooms across your Desktop at the click of a function key. Your favorite widgets appear with up-to-the-second information, then disappear just as easily, so you can get back to what you were doing.
OS X Tiger upgraded Safari web browser
Mac OS X Tiger turns your Mac into a communications hub. Safari RSS for Tiger features built-in RSS feed detection and display. Mail and Address Book incorporate Spotlight technology to help you organize your contacts and correspondence. And iChat AV lets you video conference, audio chat, or send instant messages with friends and colleagues. Add a .Mac account and make the most of Tiger connectivity with iDisk storage, a mac.com email address, your own home page, and powerful syncing capability.
Increased compatibility with Windows files
Mac OS X Tiger boasts better compatibility than any other desktop operating system. Share files with Windows users, connect to any network, and communicate automatically with other Macs using Bonjour technology. Mac OS X Tiger is compatible with different users, too. VoiceOver and Universal Access assist people who have difficulty using a computer, while Mac OS X for the Family gives parents greater control over how their kids use the Mac. And thanks to its solid UNIX foundation, Mac OS X Tiger offers a powerful security architecture that protects your data from prying eyes.
New Automator makes repetitive tasks painless
Accomplish all your time-consuming, repetitive manual tasks quickly, efficiently, and effortlessly with Mac OS X Tiger's new Automator Workflows. It's simple to create custom Workflows just by dragging items, pointing, and clicking. Perform the task once using your Automator Workflow or many times. You can easily automate tasks such as renaming a large group of files, resizing dozens of images to fit an iPhoto slide show, or creating Ic birthday events using Address Book contacts, then repeat those tasks again and again. Simple and easy-to-understand application Actions are the building blocks, so you don't have to write any code. Each Action has all of the options and settings you need. You don't have to work hard to figure out how to make it work.
You can even incorporate Mac OS X Tiger's new Spotlight search into Workflows to identify items automatically. Automator comes complete with a library of hundreds of Actions so you can get started right away.
See the difference
From its PDF-based Quartz windowing system to QuickTime 7 featuring the pristine H.264 video codec to Colorsync, Core Audio, and Core Image technologies, Mac OS X Tiger pushes the envelope of desktop graphics and media. Whether you create, develop, or simply enjoy audio and video, Tiger makes the ideal virtual studio!
- Spotlight desktop search technology finds anything on your computer as quickly as you type
- Dashboard accesses nifty new mini-applications called widgets for Internet info
- Safari RSS scans the latest news, information, and articles from thousands of web sites in one easy-to-read, searchable article list
- iChat AV brings multi-way video and audio conferencing directly to your Desktop with stunning, true-to-life picture, and crystal-clear conversation
- Automator, an innovative personal automation assistant that helps you streamline challenging repetitive manual tasks without programming
- QuickTime 7 includes user-friendly controls and pristine H.264 video
- .Mac Sync now fully built into Mac OS X Tiger preferences for instant updates
- VoiceOver spoken English interface enhances Universal Access to provide a new way for the visually impaired to access the Macintosh through speech, audible cues, and keyboard navigation
- Parental Controls protect kids over a wide range of system preferences and applications, including Mail, Safari, iChat, and more
- Mac OS X Tiger Mail features Spotlight search technology to find email instantly and accurately, organize messages using Smart Folders and share, save, or view emailed images easily