This information is taken from the .pdf file manuals\ROMinst.pdf on the PC2 CD-Rom.
1. It is recommended to simply use Windows Media Player to playback the MIDI files into the Kurzweil. You will need to have a MIDI interface (strongly not recommended to have just a joystick port MIDI cable, these can cause the procedure to fail).
2. Make sure your MIDI interface is the default playback device in Control Panel – Sounds and Audio devices (or in Windows 98, Multimedia), go to the Audio or MIDI tab, select your MIDI device’s MIDI port as the default MIDI playback device.
3. You will need Boot Block 2.0 or higher to update to a newer OS.
4. Hookup the MIDI out of your MIDI interface to the MIDI in of the PC2.
5. If the PC2 is on, power it off. Power on the PC2, while it says Please Wait on the display, press the:
Panic button for keyboard models
Edit/Store button for rack models
6. Go to Install Engine, press Yes.
7. The display changes to Install Engine via MIDI. Press Yes.
8. The display changes to Waiting for MIDI.
9. Now start Media Player playing back the MIDI file.
This file is in the CD-Rom directory flashrom\sysfiles.
pc2gm400.mid = General MIDI operating system for PC2 76key
pc2orch400.mid = Orchestral operating system for PC2 76key
pc2pgm400.mid = General MIDI operating system for PC2 PCX-1, PCR1, PCR-2
pc2porch400.mid = Orchestral operating system for PC2 PCX-1, PCR1, PCR-2
pc2rgm400.mid = General MIDI operating system for PC2 rack
pc2rorch400.mid = Orchestral operating system for PC2 rack
pc2gm400.mid = General MIDI operating system for PC2 88key
pc2orch400.mid = Orchestral operating system for PC2 88key
* This update will take 15-25 minutes
The display will read:
Sys3-0 file 1 of 1
segment 1 of x
10. When the display says Done, you can stop Media Player if it didn’t stop automatically.
11. If your instrument does NOT contain the PCX-1 option, proceed to step 12. If it DOES contain the PCX-1 option, you need to update its operating system software as well, go back to step 9 and load the appropriate pc2p**** file.
12. Use Left or Right buttons to select Hard RESET on the menu, press Yes.
13. The display will say Erase RAM objects? Press the Right button.
14. Use Left or Right buttons to go to Run Engine, press Yes.