The built-in USB ports on any Apple G3 or G4 (300 mHz or faster) are compatible; provided the Mac running OS9.0.4 or higher.
Below is a listing of the currently compatible USB chips for PC/Windows (As of 2/28/03). For up to date listings, check
* Intel 82371AB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
* Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
* Intel 82371SB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
* Intel 82801AA PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
* Intel 82440MX PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
* Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller – 2442
* Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller – 2444
* Intel 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller – 2482
* Intel 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller – 2484
* Intel 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller – 2487
* ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
* VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
* Lucent Technologies PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
To check the PCI to USB controller in your PC:
1. Select Control Panel in the Settings group from the Start menu of Windows.
2. Double-Click the System icon in the control Panel, and click the Device Manager tab in the System Properties dialog box.
3. Double-Click the Universal Serial Bus Controller icon in the Device Manager list.
If you do not have a compatible USB Host Controller, there is an option other than replacing your mother board. We carry the ADS Turbo Quad 4 PCI card that offers 4 full bandwidth USB ports that are known to be compatible with USB audio. Our price on this card is $49 plus shipping and handling.
The USB Turbo Quad 4 offers a powerful performance advantage over all other USB host controllers by providing full USB bandwidth for each port rather than sharing USB bandwidth over all ports. This results in an increase in the number of devices that can simultaneously operate. Only the USB Turbo Quad 4 ensures High-Bandwidth simultaneous operation of USB devices such as cameras, speakers, scanners, modems, USB audio devices, and other bandwidth intensive peripherals.
How to Boost USB Performance
Get more bandwidth for your USB devices
* Full 48 Mb/sec of USB bandwidth from one PCI slot
* Four Separate 12 Mb/sec host controllers
* Supports 127 devices per port
* 4 USB Host controllers on a single PCI card
* Full 12 Mb/sec. bandwidth per port
* 48 Mb/sec. total USB bandwidth
* Integrated dual-speed transceivers (1.5 Mb/sec. & 12 Mb/sec)
* PCI 2.2 compliant (32 bit, 33 MHz PCI Local Bus)
* OpenHCI compliant
* USB Rev 1.1 compliant
* Simultaneous operation of multiple high-performance devices
* Supports up to 127 devices per port
* Win98, Win98 SE, Windows ME or Windows 2000
* MAC 8.6 or later
* Available PCI slot, must be PCI 2.2 compliant
(NOTE: If you’re running a laptop and need an add-on card for compatibility, please contact Edirol sales or support for further information.)