Line 6 Variax Factory Reset (Reflash) and Software Update Instructions
- Article #1718766
- Updated on Sep 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Please go through the following checklist before updating the flash memory of your Variax guitar to ensure the update completes successfully:
- Ensure that the interface you are using to update the Variax with (Workbench Interface, PODxt Live/Pro, POD X3 Live/Pro, POD HD500/HD Pro, Vetta II) is NOT connected to the computer through a USB hub.
- Make sure to connect the interface into a USB port directly into the computer, especially into the back of a desktop.
- If problems persist, make sure to test all of the USB ports on the computer.
- Avoid plugging into USB ports found on keyboards, monitors, or laptop docks.
- When using the Workbench Interface to update or edit the Variax guitar, ensure that a charged battery is in the guitar (JTV only) and a 1/4″ TS mono cable is inserted into the guitar’s output jack, or that the stereo TRS cable is plugged into the Variax providing power from the XPS power supply to power on the guitar.
- On a James Tyler Variax guitar, ensure that the Volume knob on the guitar is NOT set to the ‘0‘ position as it will put the guitar into Power Save Mode. Make sure that the Volume knob is set higher than 0 when updating or editing the JTV guitar.
- Please use the VDI Cable that comes with the JTV guitar when updating the flash memory on that guitar. Avoid using VDI or CAT5 cables longer than 10 ft. in length when updating any Variax guitar.
- Close out any other applications running on your computer before updating the Variax guitar.
Updating or re-installing the flash memory on the Variax Electric 300, 500, 600, 700 and James Tyler Variax guitars:
These instruments can only be returned to factory reset by reinstalling the flash memory. You will need to connect your Variax to the workbench software using your Variax enabled hardware (i.e. Variax Hardware interface, POD XT/X3 Live, POD X3 Pro, VETTA with VDI, or POD HD500), then you will have to connect your interface to your computer via USB. Once the guitar and interface are connected to the computer, you will need to run Line 6 Monkey.
1) Once you run Line 6 Monkey, Monkey may ask you to register. If you do not wish to register (or have already registered) select “remind me later”.
2) If you want to reinstall the factory presets (or update the firmware), select “Flash Memory” the select “Reinstall Latest”
3) Select “OK” to agree to the software license
4) Select “yes” or “no” If you want to keep the patches on the instrument
5) Select “Yes” to continue with the update. Do not disconnect the variax during the update.
6) Line 6 Monkey will reinitialize the device and update the flash memory. You can watch the progress on the blue bar on the right side of Monkey.
7) Once the update is complete you will need to select “OK” to continue.