High-definition Live Drum Mics
Do you know what the latest thing in drum recording is? It's making the kit sound like a cohesive instrument recorded in a real space, not just a bunch of drums recorded in a dead space with each drum processed with different effects. That sound is why real drums have been replaced in recordings with electronic drums - and why rock drums have never been the same since the days of The Who and Led Zepplin - when a drum kit was recorded with three mics instead of seven. If you want your drums to sound of live and cohesive, then the Earthworks DK25/L DrumKit System is for you.Earthworks DK25/L DrumKit System at a Glance:
- DK25/L DrumKit System provides a dramatic improvement in the sound quality of miked drums.
- Three SR25 condenser mics, KickPad, aluminum case, and windscreen.
- KickPad: Kick drum optimization in an external XLR package.
- DK25/L DrumKit system can be used for other instruments and vocals.
The typical practice of miking drums is to use a separate mic for most elements of the drum set, along with two overhead mics. This normally involves the use of five to seven microphones or more. While developing a new 25kHz Series of microphones for percussion, Earthworks went into the studio to try them out. They only used two mics for overheads and one for kick drum. Then they made a comparative recording of the same drum set using seven other mics that are some of the industry favorites for miking drums. In comparing these two recordings, the difference in detail and sound quality of the three Earthworks mics vs. the seven industry favorites was staggering. The Earthworks microphones captured every nuance of sound from each piece of the drum set with such an exceptional clarity and cohesiveness, that it sounded like a live set of drums, not a bunch of pieces. This discovery led to the development of their innovative DrumKit Systems, providing a "dramatic improvement" in the sound quality of miked drums. When we heard the DK25/L DrumKit System, it absolutely blew us away!Three DrumKit Microphones
The DK25/L is for "Live Performance" and has three SR25s: two for overheads and one for kick drum, a KickPad and a windscreen. The patented cardioid pattern on the SR25 provides a more uniform off-axis response and has less susceptibility to acoustic feedback. The DK25/L DrumKit System is also ideal for use with multi-miked drums (four or more mics) in either live or studio applications. In such cases it is recommended that two SR25s are used for overheads.The KickPad
A good kick drum microphone needs to be designed and optimized for that specific purpose. This means the microphone is great for kick drum and nothing else. Therefore we designed the kick drum optimization in an external XLR package - the KickPad. Just plug the KickPad into the mic line going to the SR25kick drum mic for magnificent results. With the KickPad removed, you can use the same SR25 for most anything.Versatile Mics
All three high quality Earthworks microphones in the DrumKit System will provide stunning results on a wide variety of instruments and vocals. As an added bonus, the KickPad will improve the sound of other popular microphones used for kick drum.Earthworks DK25/L Drumkit System Features:
- Superior Impulse Response; the speed and accuracy in which a microphone responds to a signal with fast rise times.
- Fast Diaphragm Settling Time - how long it takes a diaphragm to return to rest.
- Patented Pick-up Pattern Technology - maintaining accuracy and uniform frequency response throughout the pick-up pattern.
- Extended Frequency Response - capturing high frequency details and overtones.
- Beautiful Cherry wood carrying case.
- Patented windscreen included.
- SR25 Frequency response: 50Hz to 25kHz +/-2dB @ 15cm.
- Polar pattern: Cardioid.
- Sensitivity: 10mV/Pa (-40dBV/Pa).
- Power requirements: 48V Phantom, 10mA.
- Peak acoustic input: 145dB SPL.
- Output: XLR (Pin 2+).
- Min output load: 600 between pins 2&3.
- Noise: 22dB SPL equivalent (Aweighted).
- Dimensions (L x D): 165 mm x 22 mm (6.5 x .860 inches).
- Weight: 160g (.35lb.).