The next generation of control and summing is here!
Matrix, Solid State Logic's integrated control surface/summing mixer, brings SSL's legendary sound to an entirely new market with a ton of built-in flexibility for the digital age. Matrix offers 40 inputs, six aux busses, and four stereo returns with full stereo mix bus routing and offers direct communication with the XRack system, letting you custom create your signal path at any end of the signal chain. To control your mixes, there are 16 motorized faders with multi-layer DAW control. This just hints at Matrix's capabilities. For the full story keep reading...Solid State Logic Matrix at a Glance:
- What is it?
- Built for recording and mixing
- Fully balanced SuperAnalogue circuitry
- Control your DAW
- Flexible monitoring
- Affordable SSL mixing board
What is it?
In a sentence, Matrix is a SuperAnalogue 16-channel, 40-input mixing console with a built-in signal router and multi-layer digital workstation control. In use, it's an elegant way to be creative with your entire arsenal of analog outboard and cutting-edge digital equipment. Designed to be at the heart of your creative process, Matrix is built to meticulous SSL hardware standards to withstand even the most intensive studio use. Fully equipped to partner your monitors, workstations and outboard gear, Matrix lets you shape your project studio around the way you work. Bringing the soul of analog sound into the machinery of digital workflow, Matrix gives the music a unique sonic signature.
Built for recording and mixing
Matrix is an affordable small-format console configuration that encapsulates a high quality 16-channel, 40-input analog line mixer with a multi-layer 16-fader DAW controller. Designed for both recording and mixing, Matrix is pivotal in the integration of existing boutique signal processing in a professional DAW based project studio environment. An integrated signal router offers DAW-style plug-in management in the analog domain and eliminates the need for complex interfacing with outboard equipment. On-board Total Recall fully supports up to six SSL X-Rack modules to further expand the processing and mixing capabilities of the system. With more than 40 summing SuperAnalogue inputs, there are plenty of channels for a substantial mix. Sixteen dual-line channels provide 32 line signals, each with foldback capability. Plus there are six aux busses for complex tracking sessions and foldback requirements. An analog routing matrix with reset offers instant routing and recall.There are 17 motorized faders with multiple layers for working with different DAW applications simultaneously over TCPIP via Ethernet.
Fully balanced SuperAnalogue circuitry
Matrix includes as standard, a fully balanced and resettable Super Analogue router to manage the sends and returns of 16 outboard processor units together with the assignment of the console's channel strip insert points. In addition to patch free insertion of outboard processing into the channel strips, complex processing chains can be created which can include single-ended devices such as mic pre's and instrument DI's as part of the chain. In many cases this feature will eliminate the need for any external patch bay and dramatically simplify integrating Matrix into the project studio environment.
Control your DAW
At the heart of your studio, Matrix reaches out to give comprehensive control over your DAW environment, reinstating the console to its role as creative hub. With HUI or MCU modes, the 16 motorized faders and channel controls provide complete hands-on control over your DAW mixer, allowing you to enjoy mixing on a tactile, fully-featured control surface. Additionally, Matrix gives you access to transport and navigation functions, plug-in and virtual instrument parameters, and essential DAW commands, allowing you to work quickly and easily using just the console surface. For crucial track adjustment, the unique 'Focus Fader' mode enables the Master Fader (and accompanying V-Pot) to control any channel within your DAW environment that is not part of the currently selected layer, perfect for saving time in mixdown.
Matrix includes a powerful Main, Mini, and Independent 'Artist' monitor outputs for deriving a separate monitor mix for headphones or a recording area. Five additional stereo monitoring inputs with SUM mode allowing multiple inputs to be monitored simultaneously. Stereo inputs include AES/EBU and Optical Digital I/O with on-board SSL-quality AD/DA conversion. Analog monitoring also includes features such as SuperCue and foldback for low latency monitoring performance.
SSL's trademark Logictivity provides direct communication to XRack IO systems for Total Recall Management. An accompanying Matrix Studio Browser application manages Total Recall setups, controls the integral signal router, and configures DAW control soft keys and keystroke macros. This is application can run on the same computer as the workstation software or on a separate Mac/PC. All this means that Matrix puts the operator in charge of the process and the technology - with SSL sound quality as the end result.
- 16 SuperAnalogue mono line channels with two separate inputs per strip
- 32 x 16 x 16 insert router for up to 16 external processing devices
- Stereo aux send and 4 mono sends per channel
- 'Input to Cue Stereo' doubles mixdown channel count
- 'In Line' DAW monitoring with 'SuperCue' headphone mode
- Dual stereo mix busses with summing inserts and reassign
- 4 stereo returns with full stereo mix bus routing
- Stereo digital I/O (S/PDIF, AES/EBU) with SSL converter technology
- Stereo monitoring with independent Main and Mini monitor outputs
- 3 external monitor inputs with source summing
- iJack front panel monitor input
- Artist Monitor output with independent EQ and monitor source selection
- 16 motorized faders with multiple layer DAW control
- General purpose MIDI controller mode
- Additional motorized 'Focus' fader for simultaneous DAW/console control
- Programmable function keys for keyboard key strokes/macros
- DAW-based MIDI fader automation
- Ethernet MIDI connectivity and PC/Mac Browser Interface
- Integrate your analog outboard
- Ethernet DAW connection - Avoids multiple cables and additional interface boxes
- Plug-in & virtual instrument control - Map plug-in parameters to faders, V-pots etc. via MIDI
- Control up to 4 DAWs simultaneously, including Logic, Cubase, and Digital Performer
- Programmable soft-keys for DAW shortcuts - Rapid access to essential DAW commands (up to 350 per DAW layer)
- Full DAW transport control - Punch-friendly controls and navigation wheel