A Wild Beast of a Preamp!
Tweaking the Warm Audio TB12 Tone Beast Preamp is addictive - at Sweetwater, we can't get enough of it! Based on the API 312 preamp's design and sporting premium Cinemag transformers, the Tone Beast is already a stellar mic pre. The Tone Beast's real magic, however, lies in its multiple discrete signal paths. With the flip of a switch, you can select different transformers, op-amps, and capacitors, and enjoy a myriad of tones in the process. Push the Tone Beast and enjoy the harmonic distortion it lends to electric guitars, bass, or anything else that needs some grit. Big, bold, and fully-professional, you won't find many preamps like the Warm Audio TB12 Tone Beast for under a grand!
Warm Audio TB12 Tone Beast Microphone Preamp at a Glance:
- Multiple discrete signal paths provide unprecedented flexibility
- Coloration - and why you want it
- Top-tier performance - and amazing value
Experienced recording engineers love how different mic pres color their sound. They know that by combining different mics with different preamps, they can make every source sound its absolute best. With the TB12 Tone Beast in your rack, you'll be able to do the same, thanks to its unprecedented versatility. The Tone Beast's flexibility is absolutely staggering. First of all, you have your choice of a Melcor 1731 or Jensen 918 op-amp. The 1731 is very colored and breaks up quickly, while the 918 is fairly clean with just a hint of character. Secondly, you have your choice of a 100% steel or 50% nickel transformer. The steel output transformer is more colored than the nickel transformer, especially when pushed. You can also bypass the transformers completely for an ultra-clean tone. Finally, you have your choice of tantalum and electrolytic capacitors for even more tonal variety.Coloration - and why you want it
The most coveted vintage consoles and outboard gear weren't transparent. And that's the point behind the Warm Audio Tone Beast. Coloration is, in many cases, desirable. If your mixes sound unprofessional, lacking in vibrancy and depth, you'll love the Tone Beast. Subjective listening tests played a big part in the development of this amazing preamp. Test equipment can tell you only so much, and there's a point in the design process where you just have to let your ears call the shots. You wouldn't mix with earplugs and an oscilloscope, would you?Top-tier performance - and amazing value
At Sweetwater, we understand that outfitting your studio is a balancing act between performance and value. Warm Audio gets that, too, and their Tone Beast delivers on both counts. In spite of its ultra-reasonable pricing, Warm Audio gear is made in the USA and uses only the finest components such as genuine Cinemag input and output transformers. Look at it this way: at this price, you can pack your rack with two or more Tone Beast preamps - perfect for recording live drums or more than one track at a time.Warm Audio TB12 Tone Beast Microphone Preamp Features:
- Discrete 312 preamp design with Cinemag transformers delivers stellar tone
- Choice of Melcor or Jensen op-amps for varying character
- Op-amps are socketed/swappable - add your own op-amps to the mix!
- Choice of steel or nickel output transformers provide more tonal options
- Choice of tantalum or electrolytic capacitors for even more character variation
- Transformer bypass switch provides an ultra-clean character
- Tone switch allows for variable mic impedance
- 80Hz highpass filter cuts the mud and rumble
- 20dB pad tames really loud sources
- Output attenuation for saturation flexibility of both op-amps and transformers
- Insert allows the use of inline processors
- LED VU meter lets you monitor your levels