We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Brand new New Ibanez with fret Buzz

NightOrchid

Hi all
Ive just brought home my new Ibanez RG470AH (Malaysia built).
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-rg470ah-electric-guitar-natural--70854
I paid £350 for it, reduced from £450 as it was an ex-display model, however, I don't know how long its been hanging in the shop. I haven't played for 20 years, but I have read up on youtube about what to look for.
The neck seems pretty straight, the Locking trem bridge is level. However, Im getting buzzing all the way up the frets on the Low E string and half way up the Low A string. I do know this could be the locking nut too low, but with it being a new guitar
The guy pretty much gave me the guitar off the rack in a guitar shaped box, but now I realise its not set up. He did give me an alan key for the locking nuts.
I cant see any fret wear, but havent changed the strings because the D, G, B and E ok even without an amp and I have no experience of Floyd rose style locking trems.. although they are greyed slightly.
Any advice
Colin
EDIT
After sitting listening with a very critical ear.. It seems to be all the strings now at varying points on the fretboard, not just the lower E and A.
Any thoughts at all...
Ps.. Also, I did notice the £380 price on dv247 site, however, being in-experienced... I had hoped the guitar I have now had been set up. Is it worth me returning it, or will it be a simple set up.
October 16, 2013 @01:30pm
wogg

String height and neck relief, that's pretty much all there is to it. So either your neck is too straight, which doesn't give the fretted string enough room to vibrate hence buzz, or your strings are too low which has the same effect.
October 17, 2013 @01:33am
NightOrchid

String height and neck relief, that's pretty much all there is to it. So either your neck is too straight, which doesn't give the fretted string enough room to vibrate hence buzz, or your strings are too low which has the same effect.

Thanks for the help :). After a little more playing of the Ibanez, I found the neck quite uncomfortable, pain in the back of my left hand, so when I went to have it set up by the guitar tech at the store and explained what you have said and my discomfort, he suggested I should try out a more C shaped fender, tele neck rather than the flat shredder style necks of the Ibanez.
So he handed me a beautiful Black Schekter Solo-6 Vintage with Bigsby trem.. and Wow I was sold, so much more comfy in my left hand for open and bar cords, I also found it easier and more enjoyable to do scales but it also has a rounder fuller sound for exactly the same price £350. Apparently Schekter are dis-continuing this model, so the store were selling them off.
http://schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Solo-Vintage.aspx
So thanks again, for prompting me to take it back, but I also now know what is the result of too straight a neck, neck relief adjustment is.
A question though
Both Pick ups has the word Duncan-Designed on them.. Which are Seymour Duncan copies. Are these a good pickup compared to the INF pickups of the Ibanez.
October 17, 2013 @10:55pm
wogg

My knowledge of pick ups is pretty much this: Does it sound good? Yup... 'nuff said.
October 20, 2013 @02:45pm
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!