We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

microphone frequency response curves

sabianq

Many people consider the ribbon microphone as the most natural sounding of all of the microphones. Ribbon microphones are used on sets for movies and tv. Studios incorporate this type of microphone in their assortment to complement many different of music. The ribbon microphone is a great microphone for recording sound effects.
The ribbon microphone was also known as the velocity microphone and was the last of the four basic microhone types developed, following the dynamic, condensor, and carbon microphones.
The ribbons' natural sound can also be made to sound warm, big, and syrupy (Bing Crosby-like) when placed within two or three feet of the talent (generally, you can't close-talk a ribbon without having a greatly exaggerated bass characteristic). An adequate breath filter in front of the ribbon is also necessary to protect the delicate ribbon (NEVER blow into a ribbon mic) .
77A by RCA is the grandaddy of all the ribbon microphones. The 77A is also the rarest of the ribbons.

44A, 44B/BX
Successor to the 77A, the 44 could be considered a "cost-reduced" version. However, it was this cost reduction that catapulted the 44 to its legendary commercial success. Even today, some fifty years after its introduction, 44's can be found in broadcast and recording studios throughout the world.
The first of the 44 family was the 44A, a large microphone, although considerably smaller than the 77A. It used a large horseshoe magnet around the ribbon and featured a figure-8 pickup pattern.
The slightly larger 44B was introduced in about 1938. It also had a figure-8 pickup pattern. Both the 44B and the BX were bi-directional having figure-8 patterns. Its frequency response extended from 30 cycles to 15,000 cycles.
Within it's case, the 44 was provided with "V" (voice) or "M" (music) jumper positions. When a lead was connected to the terminal marked "V", a choke was connected in parallel with part of the transformer winding, which substantially attenuated the low frequency response.

77B, C, D, DX
The 44 was replaced in the late 40's by a smaller, restyled version: the 77B. Resembling a large capsule, the 77B and its decendents, the 77C, 77D and DX have become the standard microphone icon known throughout the world.

for more info on ribbon microphones visit
http://www.bext.com/ribbon.htm
May 24, 2005 @03:34pm
sabianq

AES R84 ribbon microphone

May 24, 2005 @03:59pm
sabianq

I have in the past made many different "microphones" using copper wire and strong neodynium magnets.
after attempting to make a ribbon microphone, I found this great website.
http://make_a_ribbon_mic.tripod.com/ribbon/id3.html
building a microphone is a great way to help a person understand how a microphone works and how audio pressure is transfered to electrical impulses.
May 24, 2005 @04:02pm
sabianq

bump
July 21, 2005 @03:51pm
oldfriend

me bought a couple of ribbons lately.... :) .. no.. not Royers or RCAs.... :) Tbones...
'eager to put them on some horns.... ;)
cheers sabian....
July 21, 2005 @04:39pm
sabianq

i just bought a house so im selling alot of my stuff so i can make improvments on the house.
then when my flatmate moves out, I will set up my studio again.
then i will buy some ribbons.
I discovered that i like recording using 2 microphones each on different channels and each set to right and left respectivly
example:
microphone 1 >channel 1 10% right 90% left pan
microphone 2 >channel 2 10% left 90% right pan
it gives me great depth for my recordings. and when you listen back with headphones, you get a surround environment.
July 21, 2005 @04:52pm
Sonic Valley

Sab...don't bump...bumping your own thread really sux. I'll sticky it for a bit.
July 21, 2005 @04:54pm
martin armsby

Great thread - keep em commin' !
What about the 565 Unisphere 1 - Shures predecessor to the SM series and with a much better EQ - most seen in the hands of Freddie Mercury although he could have bought something "better" - lol
July 21, 2005 @08:06pm
sabianq

To sonic ;
that was an accident, i was stumbling around and bumped the table
as for the 565 unisphere 1 I actually own one
but mine is the 545sd unidyne
these microphones were the predecessor to the sm 57/58
they could be switched from low impedance to high impedance.
mine is 300/600 ohm (i had thought at one point that the swich is an on/off switch)
this is the base of the 57

here is the
565sd
based off the 58

you can see the relationship between the sm and the sd
http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/565ser.asp
aparently shure still sells them
mine looks bran new
and the thing must be made out of stainless steel as it has real mass.
July 21, 2005 @09:17pm
martin armsby

Originally posted by sabianq
the thing must be made out of stainless steel as it has real mass.
Actually sold Brass I believe and heavily chome plated. Apart from the strange looking frequency response of both mics - the 565 is smoother and much better suited to anyone with a slight nasal quality in the voice over the SM.....
cheers
M
July 22, 2005 @08:28am
howie15

I've got a handful of both of those 58 and 57 predacessors lying around the studio I manage. I figured they were older cousins of the 58/57 just by their physical construction but hadn't seen pics or curves for them. They do have some mass to them that's for sure. I haven't used any of them lately seeing as we have a new batch of 57's and 58's now. I also have a couple old AKG mics that resemble a 58...I believe the number is a D230 or D320. They have a 3 position roll off switch on them which is something I haven't seen on a mic like that. Sabian, let me know if you find the info on that one. (Or I suppose I could get off my lazy butt and do it myself.) :)
Howie J.
July 22, 2005 @12:01pm
sabianq

D320 by AKG
I dont know much about this microphone as i have not ever used one or seen one.
but here is the specification as provided by AKG
July 22, 2005 @02:49pm
sabianq

does that look like your microphone howie?
it has an impressive freq range
July 22, 2005 @02:50pm
sabianq

Originally posted by martin armsby
Actually sold Brass I believe and heavily chome plated. Apart from the strange looking frequency response of both mics - the 565 is smoother and much better suited to anyone with a slight nasal quality in the voice over the SM.....
cheers
M

I just contacted my source at Shure and he told me that the microphone bodys for the SD series 545 and 565 are infact made out of "cast steel" not stainless steel.
this is also an interesting point as the bodys of the SM57 and SM58 are infact made out of solid Zinc.
very interesting.
July 22, 2005 @03:00pm
Sonic Valley

The AKG 535's are very popular around here. Most of the music stores have them in thier rental departments. I love em.
July 22, 2005 @03:06pm
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!