We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Help on replacing guitar strings on two different guitars?

bobbyie

I need to replace 2 strings on 2 different guitars. The first guitar is a Ibanez model V70CENT and I need to replace the D-string. The second is a Yamaha FG-441S and I need to replace a high E-string. Any suggestions on which string I should buy for each respective guitar?IT Services
October 28, 2011 @10:17am
R Whittington

Hi bobbyie,
To keep a uniform feel, response, and sound on the guitar...I'd recommend replacing the entire set. If the string was old and simply broke from deterioration, that's usually a good sign the entire set is worn and ready to be replaced. Depending on what gauge range that was on the guitar to start with...the high E string would most likely be a .010 or .009 plain string. The D string would normally be a .024 or .026 wound string.
October 28, 2011 @12:54pm
Bluesman48

Agree with Richard. You'll have problems with tuning and intonation replacing one string at a time, let alone the huge improvement in tone when you replace the whole set. :)
October 29, 2011 @10:38pm
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!