We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Where Do You Find Creativity?

bob anderson

I seem to have lost creativity.i tried the Fripp Oblique Stratagies ( If you havent tried them...) But What seemes to have happenened to me is I lost the ability to be spontanious. I used to be a cut up..... More importantly.. i used to improv on bass freely... several cds of me making it up as i go along....
but now i'm stuck
any help would be awesome... bob@lwboblwtx@hotmail, or bob@lightwavebob.com, or lwbobtx@hotmail
May 2, 2007 @09:43am
DAS

Wow. Tough question.
Not sure exactly what you're looking for? But then that's often part of the problem...we don't even know what we are seeking.
Years ago I found a good book that talks about the rigor of fostering creativity. I know those two words (rigor/creativity) can sound mutually exclusive...but that's a lot of what the book addresses.
It's called The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron.
Good luck.
May 2, 2007 @11:53am
tech1

When i get stuck in a mucisal rut, I find that putting my instruments away and just listening to a wide variety of music for a day or two gets me going again. Some of my personal inspirational CD's are by Ravi Shankar, Bach, Bela Fleck, and I also have a Celtic bagpipes CD that helps, too. Also, practicing guitar fundamentals seems to help too. Just a thought.
May 2, 2007 @01:17pm
Leesong

The key to finding something is not to look for it.
May 2, 2007 @03:36pm
gcjammin1

I read about a guitarist that makes up runs in his head and then tries to do it on his guitar. I agree with tech1 about listening to a wide variety of music.
Gcjammin1
May 2, 2007 @07:56pm
Audioholic

Being that I have to come up with original music all the time, I hear ya dude. Sometimes its hard to be creative, and sometimes you just have to plow through those times where the creativity doesn't seem to be flowing. If possible, its good to take a small break, fuel the creative juices again by relaxing, doing things that inspire you such as nature, or to just unplug from music all together.
But when you need to get the juices going right away, sometimes we have to fall back on what we know works, and sometimes it takes floundering around to find it. perhaps those times that you were being more free and spontaneous, you have increased in your skill, that those kind of licks are just apart of you now...
Maybe start listening to some music you don't normally listen to, some deeply odd and creative tunes and sounds, who knows, it may inpire you.
May 2, 2007 @09:04pm
Vox Veritas

Maybe try picking up a new instrument and seeing where that goes. Change it up.
May 9, 2007 @12:12pm
Terry Wetzel

I think I might be able to help. Did you get married??!!:D
August 29, 2009 @01:20pm
guysmilely

try playing an instrument that your not good at and trying writing something basic and build around it. you have to get out of your comfort zone. or try a musical style that you normal would never play you'll be suprised what you come up with.
August 31, 2009 @09:10am
CopyingPS3Games

I just browse google for references..
December 20, 2009 @07:22pm
Trumpetguy7

The only solution(I'm exaggerating) is listening to a lot of music. Just like someone said earlier.
When I reach a wall, I also do fundamentals and make them harder by going faster while maintaining clean tone. (I'm talking about me practicing trumpet).
For example, if I can already play my basic major scales and all minor scales, two octaves, then the next step is play them faster. Once that is easy, days later I might try them in different articulations. Example: slur 3 tongue 2.
(In guitar, this would be finger 3 then pick 2.)
If that gets easy then I start doing them in 3rd, then in 4ths and 5ths.
Create challenges for yourself, then new material will arise.
December 20, 2009 @11:44pm
bongoboy

Sometimes you just have to walk away from it for a while. Take a walk and really take a look at all that is around you. Inspiration will smack you upside the skull when you least expect it. Sometimes the best way to try is to not try.
January 23, 2010 @06:32pm
irislogic

What works for me is to do something that gets my blood going, like exercise or housework. The extra oxygen somehow gives me an extra adrenaline boost as well and that helps me with creative blocks. Though there are times when you just can't go anything about it and it's best to just get out and take a break.
February 26, 2010 @05:14am
Tony Nesci

Been there many a-time. If something is going on in my life that takes me outside of the normal routines...stuff comes to me. Tough question, matey!
T
March 16, 2010 @06:21am
optix52

I always start with the creator, but that is a personal choice. Beyond that I have found that too much studying, too much observing, too much questioning; stagnates our ability to be free spirited. When a new sound is created; it is never new for long before other artist mimic, spin off; or outright hijack the sound. At that is the core question; are you a leader of follower? Leaders are innovators, creators, and have a keen sense of what the soul craves. Followers take the sounds of others and twist it enough so they can claim it as their own. Creativity also comes in waves- think the ocean. Periods of non creativity is the period between the last and the next wave. Let your mind be purged from the last jamb session- so that there is neutral ground for the next. Think farming; the period from the time a seed is planted to the time a harvest comes is 3-4 months. don;t lose patience while the seed is growing. In due season you will have your next harvest.
December 13, 2010 @09:07pm
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!