We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

dual monitors with Pro tools

BLuEWeed

How do i setup a dual monitor with Pro tools.. i know how to do it but i dont know much about it and havent tried it with Pro tools yet..
December 12, 2006 @01:53am
Tarktones

Generally you'd get a monitor controller like the Mackie Big Knob or PreSonus Central Station to do that.
December 12, 2006 @03:01am
Justin

Do you mean monitors as in your reference speakers, or do you mean a video display?
December 12, 2006 @02:00pm
BLuEWeed

my bad i meant like computer monitors.. like a video display.. i meant to say that i was ina hurry sorry
December 12, 2006 @03:04pm
DAS

How do i setup a dual monitor with Pro tools.. i know how to do it but i dont know much about it and havent tried it with Pro tools yet..

Most users put the mixer on one screen and the track/edit view on the other. More recently I have seen some people share the mix and edit view on one screen (as if there is only one monitor) and then have plug-ins open on the other.
December 12, 2006 @04:54pm
Justin

Are you on Windows or a Mac?
In Windows, as long as you have a dual output card, and the correct drivers installed it should be relatively easly. In the monitor properties, you should have options for two monitors. You may have to enable the one that is greyed out. In the the control panel you can assign which one is on the right or left, and if you want to have the displays span horizontally or clone each other. If you're using the advanced drivers for your card, such as the ATI Catalyst or NVidia Forceware drivers, there are usually advanced tuning options in one of the control panels there, but you don't really need them most of the time.
I haven't set this up on a Mac, but I'd assume the options are in the Display Preferences.
December 12, 2006 @05:25pm
BLuEWeed

im runnin Windows on a laptop.. and i know i can do it but im just curious about it.. just wondering if there is anything in Pro tools i need to do first..
Thank you for your input u got me thinking about doing some other things
December 12, 2006 @09:06pm
Tarktones

No, there's nothing in Pro Tools. Once you set the computer up to use it, you should be able to just drag the Mix or Edit window onto the other screen.
December 12, 2006 @09:15pm
BLuEWeed

o okay.. thank you guys for tha help
December 12, 2006 @09:46pm
dpd

dual monitors in ProTools rules. If I had three, I'd do that (two dedicated to ProTools and one to the Operating System)
December 13, 2006 @03:36am
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!