We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Audition 3 sucks

Assi

Oh my ... i've been using Audition 1.5 for years and used Cool Edit since the 1.0 version ... i never upgraded to AA 2 cause its interface got so weird with all the "floating" panels and everything.
Anyway, i now downloaded the AA3 trial and wow, my sessions made with 1.5 open reeeeeaaaalllly slooooowely and when they finally open, ... wow, all the DX plugins fails to load. can't find the dx plugins it says. Well hello, they are in the same location that they have been for years, god damn it.
Is it like it doesnt support DX effects anymore or what? If so, then why the hell it says "cant find" when it should say something like "sorry, i can load only one kinds of plugins at the time and those are VST now, DX is for losers".
September 18, 2008 @09:13am
tech1

Whoa there. DX is supported. Could it be, perhaps, that the versions of the DX plugins you were using were overwritten with newer version during the AA3 install that now are causing the older version to not how up? I've seen this happen before. Any AA3 users with more ideas?
September 18, 2008 @12:24pm
robertruetz

I hate to say it, but I'm almost in agreeance. I avoid using AA3 if I can. I jumped on the cheap upgrade from 1.0 (never made the jump to 1.5 or 2). It runs multi-track like a drunken monkey. Slow slow slow. I haven't really dug into the problem yet, but it was enough to turn me back to AA 1.0 for a while, until I have the time to troubleshoot. Not sure what the DX problem is though.
Rob.
September 18, 2008 @01:11pm
Assi

Whoa there. DX is supported. Could it be, perhaps, that the versions of the DX plugins you were using were overwritten with newer version during the AA3 install that now are causing the older version to not how up? I've seen this happen before. Any AA3 users with more ideas?

I never heard of that happen ... so, are you suggesting that i should try to re-install every single DX plugin that im using? Does that sound a bit buggy?
I was also really dissapointed that some VSTi, like Amplitube, is still not supported. It seems to me that people who are developing AA, are somehow behind in the software business. I mean that it feels like they dont know how to program certain stuff.
For example; how long it took them to add the VSTi support in first place, or MIDI sequencer?
That reminds me, how are you suppose to preview notes that you insert in piano roll? I cant hear anything if i dont press PLAY, which plays the song. I've been using MIDI sequencers for years and they all plays the inserted note if you click it. ... IMO, Fruity Loops is the best one there cause you dont have to switch between tools to play the note.
Also, one other thing; howcome it takes so long to open sessions that are saved with AA1.5? Like now, i have been waiting a session to load for ... 8 minutes!!! No, the software is not freezed cause it does something and it finally loads anyway.
...13 minutes now.
Could it be that my single processor (1.9GHz) is not good enough for AA3? That would be weird cause it sure runs ProTools 7.4 good enough, and well, i can run 50-60 tracks just fine with AA1.5 (depends on how many realtime plugins are in use).
Check out this CPU usage:

Thats the CPU activity from about 10 minutes of loading a session, and it's stil not loaded, after 20 minutes. I only tried to open the session to see the whole error message and post it here, but im giving up now.
EDIT:
Ok, now after 28 minutes, the session finally loaded, so the error message was:
Errors reading session
and then the paths saying:
Cannot find "Direct X ..." effect names
September 20, 2008 @10:07am
Assi

Not sure what the DX problem is though.
Rob.

So you dont have problems opening your old sessions, saved with 1.0 that include DX plugins?
Maybe its me then. ... i mean something wrong with my DX plugins....
September 20, 2008 @10:10am
kope

Hold on for the moment. Did you enable Dx plugs in Audition and do you see all Dx plugs, which you are using, in plugs list enabled?
September 20, 2008 @11:12am
Assi

Hold on for the moment. Did you enable Dx plugs in Audition and do you see all Dx plugs, which you are using, in plugs list enabled?

Yes i did and i also refreshed the effects. ... but hey, i came back to say that i only re-installed one plugin and then tried again and WTF?!?! Now it works! I mean EVERYTHING works now.
Thanks tech1 for the hint! :D
September 20, 2008 @11:36am
tech1

:) Glad I can help.
September 22, 2008 @12:31pm
oretez

essentially AA 2 represented (more or less) complete rewrite of core code (and was, imho, a very buggy release. Not one I used
AA 3 'fixed' a bunch of the issues with 2 but even with inclusion of some more, relatively limited, MIDI function heart and soul of AA remains 'editor'
I, too, go back more then a decade with CEP and for some things still default to AA (1 & 3) but do not, probably would actively avoid, use it for tracking. There are times when it is the tool of choice for overdubs. If it had better support for hardware controllers (the Mackie seems to be the only one it plays nice with) I might use it more extensively for mixing.
for destructive editing I still find it to be better then the average bear
I also had nothing but problems with DX support in AA 3 (as well as a host of other irritating issues that do nothing to increase my respect for Adobe) I have more then one AA license and on one machine DX will not work (with AA 3, works fine with earlier versions) at all. On one it works seamlessly. On another somewhere in between. My assumption has been that the issues are conflicts with existing (non audio) dll's (and their registration) . . . probably ones that would be prohibitively complex and stupid to trouble shoot
a further assumption is that his has as much to do with MS as Adobe
if I only had one machine, had to have AA and audio was primary use I'd get rid of every app I didn't need, (including spurious dll's) install the simplest Vid card with which I could live upon which & if I held my mouth just right I would expect to have acceptable DX function with AA
October 9, 2008 @07:55pm
GZsound

Interesting..
I also am a long time Syntrillium user..starting with Cool Edit 96 and continuing up through Audition 2.0..
But I removed 2.0 and went back to 1.5 and that's where I'm staying. It works fast, all my DX plugs work fine and since it isn't broke...
I have a dedicated computer running XP Pro and no internet, no screen savers, no printer, etc. and so far AA 1.5 has been rock solid.
Like I said, if it isn't broken I am not going to fix it. Everytime I upgrade something it takes me a week to make it work.. I'm done.
October 10, 2008 @03:29pm
itsplayed

Having no problems with AA2 here or the AA3 upgrade from AA2.
October 15, 2008 @11:19pm
87PRS

I've been using AA 2.0 for over a year and haven't had any real problems, all my sessions load right up, and I've used it for 24 channel tracking, but usually track direct to HD24xr dump to AA using lightpipe and firewire. I'm not a big vst, dx or midi user so can't comment on that too much, AA seems to have enough effects built in it. I also use Cubase 3, good tracking, editing not as easy. 'Bout it for me, no complaints.
October 19, 2008 @12:16pm
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!