There are several ways to syncronize with an Akai MPC. The following is the procedure for using MTC (Midi Time Code) and MMC (Midi Machine Control) with the VS recorder as the Master.
1. Press the UTILITY button.
2. Press F6, SYNC.
3. Cursor to the MIDI OUT SYNC Gen. box, and with the
Time/Value dial, select MTC (Midi Time Code).
4. Press F6, EXIT.
5. Press F5, MIDI.
6. Cursor to the SysEx.Tx Sw box, and with the Time/Value
dial, turn it On.
7. Cursor to MMC MODE and set it to MASTER.
8. Cursor to MMC SOURCE and set it to MIDI.
9. Press F6 to EXIT.
10. Press the PAGE button to select Page #2.
11. Press F1, TEMPO.
Note: Setting the Tempo is optional when syncing with MTC.
It is recommended, so the Measures and Beats match on both the MPC and the VS recorder, along with the ABS time counter.
12. Use the Time/Value dial to select the desired Tempo.
(the default tempo is 120.0 bpm)
13. Press the HOME/DISPLAY button to exit and return to
the main screen.
You must now make the settings in the MPC for:
External sync, MTC (Midi Time Code), and MMC = Slave.