A Revolution in Wind Control!
When it comes to wind control, Yamaha is king! Yamaha invented the category of wind controllers and the WX5 is innovative third-generation technology. This wind controller offers flexibility and parameter control to please even the most demanding player!Yamaha WX5 Wind MIDI Controller at a Glance:
- Four fingering styles for ease of use
- Reed-style mouthpiece for realistic sax emulations, plus recorder mouthpiece included
- Fully GM compatible, plus Yamaha XG and VL compatibility
The controller for almost any wind player!
Whether you play flute, sax, brass instrument, or whatever, the WX5's 16-key layout gives you the setup options to make playing a breeze. The WX5 can be set to any of three saxophone fingerings or flute to ensure comfortable playing for any player.
- Saxophone (a) Mode: Basically the same as saxophone fingering, except that the fingering remains the same in all octaves, and thus easy to learn.
- Saxophone (b) Mode: This mode is similar to Saxophone (a), but with additional trill key functions to facilitate rapid passages. This fingering is similar to that on the WX5's predecessor, the Yamaha WX11.
- Flute Mode: Similar to flute fingering, this mode is ideal for players who are familiar with flute fingering. Rather that continuous pitch bend in response to lip pressure, the pitch jumps up one octave when lip pressure is applied simulating the "overblow" octave shift on an acoustic flute.
- Saxophone (c) Mode: A variation of the Saxophone (a) fingering mode, this mode allows saxophone-type alternate fingerings. Although alternate fingerings produce the same note, they produce slight variations in pitch and timbre which can be used for musical effect.
A reed to bite!
The WX5 comes with a reed-emulating high-resolution wind/lip sensor to give you the power of expression you need. Bite down on the reed and change pitch, just like a real sax! In addition, the WX5 includes a recorder-style mouthpiece that works effectively in flute mode.
Fully GM, XG, and VL compatible
The WX5 is fully compatible with General MIDI (GM) instrument sets. For enhanced sound selection, pair the WX5 with any of Yamaha's XG series of expanded GM-soundset instruments. And finally, the Yamaha VL70-m Tone Generator is custom-made for the WX5, providing modeled voices that respond especially well to the WX5's controls.
MIDI connection plus battery power for convenience
You can connect your WX5 to any MIDI input using its built-in MIDI jack. When you use the VL70-m, an optional cable provides both MIDI and power to the WX5. Otherwise, you can run your WX5 on battery power or use an optional AC adapter.
- MIDI and WX out onboard
- High resolution breath and lip sensors
- 16 key layout for sax compatibility
- Four fingering modes
- Pitch bend wheel (assignable)
- 2 mouthpieces - sax (with reed) and recorder (no reed)
- Sends program change and bank select
- XG, GS, and VL compatibility
- 4 hold modes
- Uses 6 AAA batteries, optional PA130 power supply, or power from VL70-m available
Sorry, this cannot be returned once opened, so please call if you'd like help choosing.
The Yamaha WX5 Wind MIDI Controller: Your access point to a new world of sounds!