A Powerful Bass Effects Processor from Roland
Roland's VB-99 is the follow-up to the hugely popular V-Bass system, this reincarnated version continues the amazing sound of its predecessor while upping the ante when it comes to sound-shaping capabilities. Roland packages the power of their synths into the VB-99 by adding D-Beam and a ribbon controller to the mix, which is great for "hands-on" control over your effects. Built for the modern studio world, handy tools such as a direct output and USB connectivity are built into the VB-99.Roland VB-99 at a Glance:
- Dual independent signal paths
- Powerful expressions
- Intuitive interface
- Bassist-friendly features
- Built for modern recording setups
Dual independent signal paths
The VB-99 sports dual independent signal paths, which greatly expands the sonic possibilities of this system. The two paths can be assigned to two distinct sounds (patches), and mixed and layered as desired. Sounds can be blended with a single knob, and even split or switched via playing dynamics. Imagine setting up a patch in which an electric bass morphs into a synth sound when you really dig in, or assigning an overdriven amp sound to your low B and E strings, and a lush, string-type sound to your A, D and G strings. The soundscapes are almost endless - and it's only possible with the VB-99 and its optional companion GK-3B pickup (which installs on most standard steel-string basses).
In addition to the immense number of patches - including everything from classic and modern basses, to acoustic instruments, and a wide range of amps and effects - the VB-99 offers greater expressive possibilities thanks to a D BEAM Controller, a Ribbon Controller, and String Modeling. The assignable D BEAM controller allows a bassist to control his sound through hand gestures through an infrared beam of light. It's a great way to generate inspiring tones and wow an audience. The onboard Ribbon controller is much like those found on keyboard synthesizers is perfect for tweaking a patch or getting just the right filter setting on a bass synth sound. V-LINK is Roland's proprietary format for controlling external video equipment, so visionary bassists can create soundscapes beyond just the music. String Modeling is new to the VB-99, enabling you to convert "Roundwound" strings to "Flatwound" or "Black Nylon" for even more auditory options.
Of course, all this power would mean nothing if it wasn't supremely easy to use. The VB-99 incorporates a large, bright 240 x 64 dot LCD, with tons of helpful graphics. There are dedicated knobs and buttons for all major functions. You can go from tweaking an amp model to adjusting global settings within seconds.
The VB-99's "bassist-friendly" features include a Bass Direct input/output, for sending your normal bass output unchanged through the VB-99 - or blending it with the onboard sounds as desired. There's also an XLR output with ground lift switch for "going direct," either live or in the studio. Speaking of live, the VB-99 can be controlled with an optional foot controller, like the Roland FC-300, and it can be conveniently rack-mounted using an optional adapter.
Built for modern recording setups
With the VB-99's built-in USB audio/MIDI streaming capability, modern musicians can take full advantage of computer-based setups. Just connect a single USB cable from the back of the V-Bass directly to your Mac or PC and trigger other sounds (via MIDI) or record your V-Bass (via USB audio) using your DAW software and plug-ins (sold separately). Roland's free downloadable V-Bass editing software lets you edit and save V-Bass sounds right from your computer.
- Dual independent signal paths
- Dozens of COSM models, including coveted vintage and modern basses, synth basses, and even electric guitar models
- Innovative new String Modeling (apply virtual flat wound, round wound, black nylon, etc.)
- 12 COSM preamp models and six speaker models
- 43 powerful effect types, six compressor types
- D BEAM, Ribbon, and V-LINK real-time controller
- 24 bits + AF method
- DA Conversion: 24 bits
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz
- Program Memories: 400: 200 (User) + 200 (Preset)
- D BEAM: D BEAM Controller, Pitch button, Filter button, Assignable button
- Ribbon Controller: Ribbon Controller, Pitch button, Filter button, Assignable button
- Display: backlit 240 x 64 dots graphic LCD
- GK IN connector (13-pin DIN type)
- Bass Input jack (1/4" phone type)
- Bass Output jack (1/4" phone type)
- Sub Out jacks x 2 (L, R) (XLR type)
- Main Out jacks x 2 (L/MONO, R) (1/4" phone type)
- Phones jack (Stereo 1/4" phone type)
- Digital Out jack (Coaxial type, conforms to IEC60958-3)
- Exp Pedal jack (1/4" TRS phone type)
- CTL 3,4 jack (1/4" TRS phone type)
- USB connector (B type)
- RRC2 IN connector (RJ45 type)
- MIDI connectors x 2 (IN, OUT) (5-pin DIN type)