Experience Spacial Imaging Like Nothing Else!
When you need the kind of precision spacial field monitoring that's critical for producing commercially viable stereo and multi-channel audio, Focal's SM11 series studio monitors deliver! The asymmetrical cabinet design sported by both the SM11 L (left) and SM11 R (right) provide crystal-clear and phase-aligned imaging that really lets you dive into your mixes. If you know how vital a flat frequency response is for producing mixes that easily translate, then you'll appreciate how the SM11's extended 34Hz-40kHz (at -3dB) frequency response retains super-aural harmonic overtones - a characteristic that's essential for fine-tuning high-definition mixes.
The further beauty of Focal's SM11 studio monitors lies in the details. For instance, the Beryllium TBU inverted dome tweeter in the SM11 is an advancement on the standard inverted dome tweeter found at the heart of many Focal studio monitors, which allows the tweeter alone to comfortably cover five full octave ranges, from 1-40kHz. The SM11's 6.5" "W" composite (glass, foam, glass) midrange driver is responsible for the incredible neutrality and transparency that all Focal monitors are known for.
These two drivers are balanced out by a third, an 11" woofer that uses an 11" inverted passive radiator with a "W" composite sandwich cone piston, rather than a traditional open port. This provides the SM11 with incredible low-frequency detail, even without the added support of a subwoofer, and none of the boomy-ness and false-lows of a traditional ported design. The combined effect of all three of these precision drivers together is 118dB maximum SPL, which leaves plenty of headroom and allows you to mix at extreme levels without inadvertently introducing compression or distortion. The result: unblemished and super-accurate sound that provides you with intense sound field imaging.
SM11 studio monitors also feature high-quality digital chipsets, which provide incredible onboard DSP for fine-tuning. When combined with included Focal Manager software, this onboard DSP lets you perfectly define your space and taylor your sweet spot. EQ controls for each SM11 studio monitor within your setup provide recallable pin-point tuning setups. To ensure that no details are lost in translation, SM11s feature 24-bit/96kHz internal converters. SM11 studio monitors accept direct AES/EBU input, in addition to standard analog XLR inputs, giving you the option to include your favorite D-to-A converters in the signal chain. You can also bypass the digital signal processing in your SM11s altogether.Focal SM11 R (Right-side) Studio Monitor Features at a Glance:
- Configuration: Asymmetrical - right side
- Frequency response: 34Hz-40kHz
- Maximum SPL : 118dB SPL (peak @ 1m)
- Dynamic range : 110dB
- Sensitivity: Adjustable
- Amplification: Class D tri-amped (250W RMS low frequency, 150W RMS mid frequency, and 100W RMS high-frequency)
- Bass transducers: Focal "W" cone 11" speaker with 11W5511B long throw magnet
- Passive radiator: Focal "W" cone 11" passive radiator with 11WPP51 large surround magnet
- Mid-range transducer: Focal "W" cone 6.5" speaker with a 6W0451 "push-pull" Neodymium magnet
- Treble transducer: 1" Focal pure Beryllium dome tweeter, TBU SM11 Focus Ring magnet
- Analog input: 1 x XLR analog input with sensitivity selector
- Digital input: 1 x AES/EBU (over XLR) with left/right channel selector
- Additional control: Control interface selector
- Shielding: Complete with the magnet structure natural protection
- Indicators: Power on LED, infrared reception LED
- Focal Manager Software functions: Sound level, "Sweet spot", "Shielving" EQ, equalizer, pre-selection, and delays
- Control system connection: RS-232 series infrared (PC/Mac), and MIDI
- DSP/Conversion: 24-bit/44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, or 96kHz (automatic detection)
- Electric supply : Local supply power: 230V (3.15A fuses) - 115V (6.3A fuse) IEC local supply wire
- Finish: Slate grey metallic lacquer side panels, dark red veneering top and bottom panels, and tinted solid wood sides
- Dimensions: 13.3" x 18.1" x 13.8"
- Weight: 55.1 lbs.