You'll Love it... it's a way of life!
The Gibson Frank Zappa Roxy SG solidbody electric guitar celebrates the life and legacy of a composer and musician who fought tirelessly to tear down the walls between jazz, rock, pop, and classical music. Through the course of his artistic struggle, he became one of the most notorious guitarists of the twentieth century. With its funky, heavily modified electronics and performance-oriented construction, the Frank Zappa Roxy SG, like its namesake, encourages you to push your creative boundaries. From its traditional Maestro-style vibrola to its incongruously white headstock, this Gibson Frank Zappa Roxy SG is as close to Zappa's guitar as it gets.
Gibson Frank Zappa Roxy SG Solidbody Electric Guitar at a Glance:
- Customized with Zappa's heavily modded electronics
- A body and neck built for superb speed, stability, and comfort
- All the quirks and oddities of an original early-'60s SG
It wouldn't be "Roxy" without Frank Zappa's own highly modified electronics. Never content with the conventional, Zappa reinvented his SG to give him an extended range of tones. For starters, the Frank Zappa Roxy SG features a pair of '57 Classics with 4-conductor wires, which serve up classic PAF tone and so much more. These are controlled by a pair of mini toggle switches, which let you call up both tapped single-coil tones and out-of-phase tones. Add to that a standard 3-way pickup selector toggle, and there's no end to the sound you'll get from your Gibson Frank Zappa Roxy SG.A body and neck built for superb speed, stability, and comfort
Even without the enhanced electronics, the Frank Zappa Roxy SG would be the kind of Gibson any guitarist could appreciate. It starts out with time-tested tonewoods, including a grade-A mahogany body with beveled edges and a quartersawn mahogany neck to match. The neck carve itself is the slim early-'60s profile that Zappa seemed especially drawn to. What's more, the Frank Zappa Roxy SG's grade-A rosewood fingerboard is set with a jumbo fret wire that matches his original Roxy perfectly.All the quirks and oddities of an original early-'60s SG
When the Gibson SG first came out, it had a Maestro-style vibrola with decorative Lyre tailpiece. By and large, this was not a very popular setup, but Zappa sure played the heck out of his. You'll see his same bridge and tailpiece combination (right down to the custom flat-bar handle) on the Frank Zappa Roxy SG. It also features the undersized early-'60s SG pickguard with a special neck spacer that shifts the neck pickup position to match Zappa's own Roxy SG.
Gibson Frank Zappa Roxy SG Solidbody Electric Guitar Features:
- A near-perfect model of Frank Zappa's own "Roxy" SG, which he used extensively on Roxy & Elsewhere
- Beveled grade-A mahogany body feels great and provides an excellent tonal base
- Grade-A quartersawn mahogany neck with early-'60s slim neck carve delivers extremely fast action
- 2 x '57 Classic humbuckers come as close as possible to traditional PAFs
- Zappa's modified electronics let you coil tap and flip phase each pickup
- Maestro-style vibrola with decorative Lyre tailpiece, includes Zappa's flat-bar handle
- Documentation and hardshell case included