Finally found my compact digital mixer
Starting from the bottom line - After two years I tried three different brands that have a compact digital mixer, I finally found the one I'm gonna stay with. It is not perfect, and not as compact as the other two, but summing up all pros and cons - this is the one. Here's why:
1. Above all - sound. Out of all three I tried - I liked it the most. After working with analog mixer for 15 years, I was happy to find something that gives both the accuracy and the warmth I was looking for. The preamps are great, the effects are great, and the summing is great.
2. Build quality - a massive small monster that I carry to all my gigs with zero worries. Solid and strong.
3. Inputs - Unlike the other ones, all 16 channels have both XLR and TRS inputs. As I play mostly in small venues, just putting the mixer on the back of the stage and connect instruments such *** acoustic guitar, keyboards, and such - directly - no need of a DI box. For me is a big difference.
4. Expendability - The option to expand the mixer with another 16 channel was a big plus when I chose to buy it. Knowing that is can easily serve my on my small gigs, but once in a while, when I have a full band gig I can also enjoy it.
5. Price - well - getting a 16 channel mixer from a well known brand for just 1k? Super easy decision.
1. Lack of built in WiFi router. I guess the target market of the portable mixers are people like me - independent musicians that make small gigs. In that case the portability and ease of use can be sometimes a deal breaker.
2. Size - As said above. I know nothing about building mixers, but I wish this one would give a better fight to his much smaller opponents.
3. The iPad application reacts slower when connected to the mixer then on demo mode... It is still the fastest of three (or at least the same), but on realtime I some time hope it would be more reactive.
4. I wish they had a full app for iPhone/Android (or at least something a bit bigger than the Qu-You).
All in all - after buying two others and replacing them, I am happy I found my mixer!