intuitive features, however...
First I’ll start by saying I'm a practicing freelance audio engineer, and have been in practice for 3 years, and have also graduated from college with my degree in music production, and recording technology. With that, I know my way around some gear, and this is a pretty good piece, however it has some major issues.
First the good:
- It has inserts for each channel.
-> This is amazing on a unit this price, and is the only reason I have not yet upgraded from it.
- The press can be bypassed using a TRS cable in the combo jack,
-> Again not many interfaces at this price point have that feature.
- Direct/USB knob can be useful in many situations, especially when having latency issues while tracking.
- Selectable Headphone outputs.
- Monitor control on front.
- 3 USB ports
- Midi in/out
Now the bad:
- Inputs can be very noisy with high gain, on mics like an sm7b where you don't have a cloud lifter this is troublesome.
- The unit has no way to be rack mounted, or any accessories to make it rack mountable commercially available for purchase.
- Often has an issue with the USB connection, I often find myself restarting the box, it has problems that include pops, clicks, dropouts, crackles, and distortion when these problems arise I usually always have to power off the unit and reseat the USB connections on both ends.
The biggest and final problem I have had with this box is the random occasion where output #2 is extremely distorted. After troubleshooting all other options I am left with my final conclusion that the second input has malfunctioned. This may seem like it is a problem specific to me however I must reveal that this is the second time that this problem has occurred.
After the first time sweeter gladly replaced the box and the new one worked just as smoothly as the original did up until this point. Now my second input has bit the dust for the second time.
So if you're going to buy this unit be weary because it has many of the features that interfaces at this price point frankly don't have, but in my experience it comes with the price of major frustration and disappointment.
To add on to this I most likely will not purchase another one of these units even though those inserts got a lot of use out of them, and its been a task to find another interface with inserts pre AD conversion.