Expand Your Artistic Power While Preserving Your Investment!
Welcome to the Kurzweil K2661, a 61-note synth action keyboard workstation that combines a "go anywhere" attitude with the elegance and power of the Kurzweil K2600 series workstations! Delivering expanded I/O, an ultra-realistic sound set, state-of-the-art synthesis & effects systems and a built-in sequencer that would rival many desktop systems, the K2661 from Kurzweil is the professional keyboard workstation that film composers, sound designers and professional keyboard players have been waiting for!Kurzweil K2661 at a Glance
- New additions such as more I/O
- The "Non-Obsolence" keyboard workstation
- V.A.S.T. synthesis engine for unparalleled artistic expression
- Integrated KDFX effects system delivers professional onboard effects
- KB-3 Organ Mode offers tone wheel sound and control from one workstation
- 32-track professional sequencer
- Ultra-realistic sound set
- Professional MIDI control with expanded console features
The Kurzweil K2661 also includes new features that K2600 players around the world have asked for. New features for the Kurzweil K2661 include ADAT optical output for 8 channels of 24-bit digital I/O and a SmartMedia slot for convenient storage and upgrades. The Kurzweil K2661 includes all of the standard ROM sounds from the K2600, plus the Orchestral ROM block and Contemporary ROM block. In addition, a General MIDI 1 sound set is provided for convenient authoring of MIDI files for the World Wide Web. There will be new sounds for the Kurzweil K2661. These sounds will be compatible with the K2600s that include ROM1 and ROM2.
Kurzweil is known worldwide for our quality instruments that are being constantly upgraded, not outdated. All Kurzweil K2000, K2500, and K2600 Series libraries are forward compatible with the Kurzweil K2661. This is how Kurzweil was able to build the largest sound library in the world. In addition, Kurzweil reads other major formats directly into the system for use with its V.A.S.T. architecture. New operating systems and options are always being created, expanding an artist's power while preserving his investment in time and programming.
Kurzweil's award-winning Variable Architecture Synthesis Technology (V.A.S.T.) is the state-of-the-art synthesis system, giving an artist powerful expression not available with any other brand. Kurzweil's V.A.S.T. can accurately model or emulate many synthesis processes offered by the competition, past or present. In addition, V.A.S.T. has many processes not available anywhere else. A simple comparison will prove the Kurzweil K2661 is the clear choice for any sound professional.
KDFX (Kurzweil Digital Effects) utilizes Kurzweil's proprietary VLSI chips and DSP algorithms. It includes a versatile 5-stereo-bus design, 24-bit signal processing, cutting edge DSP functionality, and unparalleled real-time control, all with an extremely flexible routing scheme. All Kurzweil K2661 I/O can be routed through KDFX including 8 outputs and 8 inputs from the ADAT digital I/O or analog sampling I/O.
KB-3 Organ Mode
The KB-3 Organ Mode found in the Kurzweil K2661 accurately models a Tone Wheel Organ. The sliders and mod wheel on the Kurzweil K2661 are used as the drawbars for real-time control. This revolutionary synthesis modeling tool gives the user the power to blend harmonics in real-time to create and control unique new timbres. Full polyphony is always maintained, with a single-voice containing 9 harmonics that may be blended, controlled and/or recorded in real-time.
Professioal 32-Track Sequencer
The Kurzweil K2661's full-function 32-track sequencer is equipped with many features found only on the most sophisticated software-based sequencers. With a maximum internal resolution of 768 ppq, sequencer functions include: Linear, Pattern and Step (Drum Machine), Record Modes, Reference Quantize, Event Edit List, Cut, Copy, Paste facilities, Advanced Auto Arranger functions (allows sequences to be triggered from keys with velocity sensitivity and transposition), grab (imports tracks from other sequences) and more. Reference Quantize allows the user to quantize to a groove track, and to quantize tracks not previously recorded with a click. The Event Edit List, with view filters and audible scroll, enables precise, computer-style editing. If the user already created work on a computer sequencer, or wants to use a computer for additional development, the Kurzweil K2661 can import and export either Type 1 or Type 0 MIDI files on DOS format media. The Kurzweil K2661 sequencer is the most sophisticated sequencer of its kind available.
Kurzweil Ultra-Realistic Sounds
The Kurzweil K2661 has 32 MB of internal sound ROM, and two expansion slots for a total of up to 48MB of ROM sound samples. The internal sound ROM includes all of the samples from the Kurzweil K2600, the K2600's Orchestral and Contemporary ROM options, and a General MIDI 1 sound set. In addition, the Stereo Dynamic Piano, and Vintage Electric Pianos ROM options can be installed in the expansion slots. The Kurzweil K2661 offers over 575 programs (with 100s more available) for a wide and useful selection. Handy search string functions allow the user to locate a program, setup or object quickly in memory. The Kurzweil K2661 uses a file format that is Kurzweil K2000, K2500, and K2600 compatible, enabling it to read Kurzweil or third party sound libraries for each instrument from SmartMedia or any SCSI disk (such as CD-ROM). The Kurzweil K2661 can also read other manufacturers' sample libraries including Roland's(r) 700 Series, Akai(r) S1000, S1100 and S3000, and Ensoniq(r) EPS and ASR file formats. V.A.S.T. processing will give new life to these files. The Kurzweil K2661 gives the Kurzweil owner access to the largest sound library in the world.
Complete MIDI Control
The Kurzweil K2661 is a complete MIDI controller. The front panel of the K2661 also has eight independently assignable sliders, useful as MIDI sliders, for sequencer mixdown, or as organ drawbars in the KB-3 Mode. Two buttons above the k2661 pitch and mod wheels are completely programmable. The optional 600mm ribbon controller is programmable in three distinct zones or one long zone. Additional controllers include sequencer "transport control" buttons, 4 footswitch inputs, and 2 continuous control pedal inputs (1 CC and 1 CC/breath controller). The K2661 breath controller input accepts Yamaha BC-1, BC-2, and BC-3 breath controllers. The multitude of flexible controllers make the Kurzweil K2661 the ideal center piece for any MIDI production.
- 61 note unweighted synth-style action with monophonic aftertouch
- True 48 voice polyphony with 192 oscillators
- Fluorescent 64 x 240 backlit LCD display
- Up to 128 MB of sample memory (units sold in the US come with 64 MB)
- Flash memory for OS and ROM storage (allows software updates via SmartMedia, MIDI and SCSI)
- Full MIDI controller capabilities including eight sliders, optional ribbon controller, footswitches, pedals and breath controllers all assignable
- V.A.S.T. Variable Architecture Synthesis Technology with 60 DSP functions. Triple Modular Processing offers 126 sound shaping algorithms for per-voice processing
- Extensive sample-processing capabilities
- Over 575 programs provided
- 32 track sequencer with full editing
- 16 MIDI channels, each can be a 32 layer program
- Sampling option with analog and digital inputs and sample-while-play capability
- Up to 48MB on board ROM sounds, including Kurzweil's acclaimed Stereo Grand Piano
- Powerful KDFX 5 stereo bus, 24-bit digital effects
- Optical digital ports, selectable as ADAT Lightpipe or S/P-DIF for up to 8 channels of 24-bit digital I/O
- KB-3 Organ Mode provides powerful tone wheel organ synth models
- Live Mode, real-time processing of live inputs
- New patented 6 balanced analog audio outputs
- Stereo headphone output