You've Never Used a Compressor Like This One
At Sweetwater, compression is a food group. We thought we'd heard it all — until we got our hands on the Fredenstein F600A. Although you'll find the controls instantly familiar, under the hood, this 500 Series compressor is radically different from other compressors. It's not a FET, VCA, or pulse-width switching design. There are no opto circuits, diode bridges, or remote-cutoff tubes. Instead, it uses a pair of digitally controlled analog attenuator/amplifiers for gain reduction and make-up gain in concert with a DSP-based digital side-chain — a scheme that gives it an exceptionally clean, smooth sound and a gain structure that can achieve over 20dB of gain reduction and be driven to extreme output levels. You can link up to ten of them to create a precision-matched multi-channel compressor. A high-performance compressor for pro recording and mastering engineers, the Fredenstein F600A will occupy a unique niche in your dynamics-processing arsenal.
Instantly accessible controls
Although it's quite unique under the hood, the F600A's controls are familiar and instantly accessible, starting with the warm, inviting glow of an analog VU meter. You have your Compression Ratio with settings from 1:1 to a brickwall 100:1; Attack and Release times displayed as dB/linear; and of course, Threshold and Make-Up Gain. Fredenstein provides a button to switch between RMS or PEAK, and Hard-Knee or Soft-Knee operation. Two other buttons select Link mode and Bypass. The onboard highpass filter tunes up to 4kHz, turning the F600A into a highly effective De-esser.
Clean and punchy digitally controlled analog signal path
The F600A's high-current design and ultra-low output impedance lets it effortlessly drive even the most challenging loads up to +26dBu. The unit's fully balanced, digitally controlled analog signal path exhibits lower distortion than conventional compressors, which translates into a uniquely clean and punchy analog sound. No matter how many compressors you have, the Fredenstein F600A, with its fresh sonics and proficient dynamics control, will claim a vital role in your processing chain.
Fredenstein F600A 500 Series Compressor Features:
- A high-performance compressor for pro recording and mastering engineers
- Exceptionally clean, smooth sound
- Unique circuit with 2 digitally controlled analog attenuator/amplifiers for gain reduction and make-up gain
- DSP-based digital side chain
- Hard-Knee and Soft-Knee operation
- Achieves over 20dB of gain reduction and can be driven to extreme output levels
- Compression Ratio with settings from 1:1 to 100:1
- Highpass filter tunes up to 4kHz, turning the F600A into a highly effective De-esser
- Link up to ten F600As to create a precision-matched multi-channel compressor
- Analog VU meter
- In a Fredenstein Bento 6D or 10D 500 Series rack, settings automatically displayed on the Bento's LCD display for accurate recall
- Not standalone — requires compatible 500 Series chassis