That excellent Andy Summers solo album was proof positive that during the Police's reign over the airwaves, Andy was a jazz fusion artist trapped in the body of a rock star. Now that's an off-topic lead-in to a serious discussion about stage snakes, if we ever heard one. Yes, stage snakes - digital ones. Why digital? Well, freedom, for one thing. Freedom from the noise and bulk of analog snakes.
The Aviom DS16 Digital Snake has everything you require for 16 onstage mic/line inputs plus 16 analog returns for any combination of mains and monitors. All audio travels over a single Cat-5e cable (up to 500ft), and setup is a breeze - just plug in and power on. The DS16 can be used with almost any console, and Aviom's high-grade mic preamps and A-Net technology ensure excellent sound quality in a wide variety of live situations.
Onstage, the DS16 uses one AN-16/i-M Mic Input Module giving you up to 16 mic/line inputs. At front of house, an AN-16/o v.4 Output Module routes those signals to your console. Returns are managed by an AN-16/i at FOH and a second AN-16/o v.4 on stage. A single Cat-5e handles all 32 channels.
All input channels on the AN-16/i-M have a three-segment level meter and a rumble filter, and give you control over gain, phase reverse, and phantom power. The 16 balanced outputs on the AN-16/o v.4 are presented on DB-25 multipin connectors. Analog outputs may be set (per channel pair) to mic level, +4dBu, +18dBu, or +24dBu.
Although the DS16 is configured for smaller ensembles, the system is modular and may be augmented at any time.Aviom DS16 16x16 Digital Snake System Features at a Glance:
- 16 mic/line inputs and 16 line-level returns - perfect for smaller ensembles
- The DS16 16x16 Digital Snake System consists of:
- 1 AN16iM Mic Input Module:
- Sixteen high-quality mic preamplifiers, with 24-bit A-to-D converters
- 48-volt phantom power on each channel
- XLR mic or 1/4-inch TRS balanced line-level inputs on combo jacks
- Continuously variable gain, phase reverse, and 85Hz rolloff per channel
- Stereo Link switch per pair of channels
- Built-in passive mic splitter
- Balanced insert send and return jacks (1/4-inch TRS)
- Dual A-Net outputs
- 1 AN16i Input Module:
- Sixteen balanced audio inputs (1/4-in TRS connectors)
- Sixteen balanced Thru connectors (TRS)
- A-Net Out and A-Net Expansion network connections (RJ45)
- Stereo Link switches for each channel pair
- Four-position gain switches (+22, +4, 0, -10dB)
- Signal present and clip LEDs per channel
- 2 AN16o v.4 Output Modules, each with:
- 16 balanced mic- or line-level outputs
- Four-position output level switch per channel pair
- +24, +18, and +4dBu line-level, or mic-level outputs
- 48kHz, 24-bit D/A converters
- Unlimited splits and digital copies