The Classic Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar!
Martin is recognized as the king of acoustic guitar making, with more than 125 years in the business. And many discerning guitarists instantly name the D-28 as their all-time favorite Martin. The D-28 Marquis is the latest incarnation of this legendary acoustic dreadnought guitar.
Martin D-28 Marquis Acoustic Guitar at a Glance:
- The all-time standard for acoustics!
- The direct descendant of classic D-28s
- Big sound, full bass
- Quality tonewoods used throughout
The all-time standard for acoustics!
Among the great instruments Martin makes, it's safe to say that none has enjoyed more popularity than their line of dreadnoughts, or D-size, guitars. Currently regarded as the "standard" acoustic guitar, dreadnoughts including the D-28 first became popular for backing up vocals, fiddles, and banjos in country and bluegrass music. The D-28's popularity steadily rose as more and more musicians heard it.
The direct descendant of classic D-28s
The "Golden Era" of Martin is expertly represented in the D-28 Marquis with its solid spruce top and East Indian rosewood back and sides. The D-28 Marquis employs vintage specs and herringbone binding. A special aging toner is applied to the top. The D-28 Marquis also features an interior label personally signed by Martin CEO Christian Frederick Martin IV.
Big sound, full bass
The D-28 Marquis offers the deep bass response that's made Martin dreadnoughts so popular. Yet it also has a high-end presence that sings out even in heavy instrumentation. The D-28 Marquis is both loud and subtle, and has a quick response.
Quality tonewoods used throughout
A quality acoustic guitar is all about the wood, and the D-28 Marquis delivers no-compromise quality. The top is of solid Adirondack spruce. Similar to high-elevation European alpine spruce, this wood was abundant in the 1930s and used on Martin guitars of that era. Its extraordinary tone, prized for its projection and tonal clarity, contributes significantly to the D-28 Marquis sound. The D-28's back and sides are made of solid East Indian rosewood, a classic Martin material. The D-28 Marquis back is further reinforced with Adirondack "Golden Era"-style braces. A solid mahogany neck with solid black ebony fingerboard gives the D-28 Marquis awesome playing ease to match its awesome sound!
Typically the action is set higher on a D-28 than on a D-18, 35, 42 or 45, owing to the instrument's bluegrass roots where the instrument performs with loud mandolins, banjos and Dobros. A heavier gauge string and tad higher action makes the guitar louder. Well-played D-28s are often referred to as "cannons." The D-28 Marquis is an American classic.Martin D-28 Marquis Acoustic Guitar Features:
- Color: Adirondack Spruce w/ aging toner
- Body Type: Dreadnought D-14 fret
- Finish: Top, back, sides - Polished gloss; neck - satin gloss
- Neck Wood: Solid mahogany
- Neck Shape: Modified V
- Top Wood: Solid Adirondack spruce
- Back Wood: Solid East Indian rosewood w/ Adirondack Golden Era-style braces
- Side Wood: Solid East Indian rosewood
- Machine Heads: Gotoh nickel open geared w/ butterbean knobs
- Fingerboard: Solid black ebony
- No. of Frets: 20 (14 clear)
- Position Markers: Diamonds & Squares - long pattern
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- Bridge: Solid black ebony, 1930s style belly - long pattern
- Pickguard: I-03 tortoise color/beveled and polished
If you want to own the finest, you want the Martin D-28 Marquis!