Martin Sound and Feel!
This well-established and innovative solid wood 16 Series guitar was originally conceived and developed as an experiment to deliver better sound at a lower cost by using a special combination of Martin's proprietary bracing systems. The 16 Series's "Hybrid" X-bracing has now become a longtime Martin favorite. Other features for the 16 Series include solid wood top, back, and sides, as well as a patented neck mortise.
Martin D-16GT Acoustic Guitar at a Glance:
- "D" is for dreadnought
- Sitka spruce top
- Mahogany back and sides
"D" is for dreadnought
The famous Martin dreadnought, with its "D" designation, is without a doubt the most popular size steel-string flat-top guitar. Nearly 16 inches wide and five inches deep, the "D" is Martin's largest body and one of the biggest voices in the acoustic guitar world.
Sitka spruce top
The D-16GT's top is crafted of Sitka spruce. Its high stiffness combined with the lightweight characteristics of most softwoods, makes it a natural for a high velocity of sound. A strong fundamental-to-overtone ratio gives Sitka spruce a powerful direct tone capable of retaining its clarity when played forcefully. This makes Sitka an excellent choice for top wood for players whose style demands a wide dynamic response and a robust, meaty tone.
Mahogany back and sides
When employed for back and sides, mahogany has relatively high velocity of sound, which contributes overtone coloration. While rosewood guitars may be thought of as having a metallic sound, the D-16GT's mahogany back and sides sound more wood-like.
- D-14 Fret body size
- Solid Sitka spruce top with polished gloss top finish
- Bold Herringbone rosette
- Solid genuine mahogany back and sides with satin, light mahogany stain finish
- Black Boltaron endpiece and binding
- Solid Spanish cedar neck and modified low-oval shape with semi-gloss, light red mahogany stain and dark filler finish
- Solid/6-string, no diamond/standard taper headstock
- Solid East Indian rosewood headplate with gold-foil logo
- Solid East Indian rosewood heelcap
- Richlite fingerboard and bridge
- 25.4" scale length
- 20 frets
- Compensated White Tusq saddle
- Chrome tuning machines with small knobs
- 345 Hardshell case