A Moving Tribute Guitar from Martin And CSN
The Martin CSN Gerry Tolman Special Edition Tribute Guitar honors the late CSN manager's memory with some very special features. Tolman was essential in bringing the band back from a difficult period and helping them to regain their footing as a creative force in popular music (and also managed to bring back Neil Young occasionally). The CSN Gerry Tolman Special Edition includes some very personalized inlays in a premium dreadnought design. A moving tribute that embodies Tolman's commitment to great music, the CSN Gerry Tolman Special Edition is a guitar with a story.Martin CSN Gerry Tolman Special Edition Tribute Guitar at a Glance:
- Classic design, classy features
- Quality Martin construction
- A unique tribute instrument
Classic design, classy features
The CSN Gerry Tolman Special Edition Tribute is a classic Martin dreadnought - as functional as it is beautiful. Premium solid tonewoods are used throughout, including East Indian rosewood back and sides, an Engelmann spruce top, and genuine mahogany neck. These elements combine with forward-shifted 5/16" scalloped top bracing for rich, powerful tone. Bold herringbone purfling is placed around the top, and a Style 45 rosette with a center ring of select abalone adorns the soundhole. Fine black/white purfling goes around the sides, back and end piece, and a Style 45 multicolored mosaic back strip and grained ivoroid binding project graceful, timeless elegance.
Quality Martin construction
The 1-3/4" low-profile neck features a diamond volute, solid, square tapered headstock and nickel Gotoh tuners with butterbean knobs. But it is the polished African black ebony headplate and African black ebony fingerboard, both framed with ivoroid binding inset with fine black/white inlay, that provide the canvas for this guitar's most spectacular craftsmanship. The headstock displays the familiar arched C. F. Martin & Co. logo in luminous mother of pearl and the CSN logo (originally designed, incidentally, by the late comedian/CSN fan Phil Hartman) beneath in vibrant abalone pearl, bordered with mother of pearl. Inlays of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's personal logos comprise the position markers: David Crosby's "schooner" at the 5th fret, Stephen Still's "Southern Cross" at the 7th through 9th frets, Graham Nash's "winged heart" at the 12th fret and Neil Young's "broken arrow" at the 15th fret. A cat's eye inlay at the 17th fret completes the fingerboard markers.
A unique tribute instrument
Adding to this Special Edition guitar's unique look is the African black ebony belly bridge with a single point at the bottom and pyramid wings. This rarely offered bridge, its matching black ebony bridge pins topped with abalone dots, and the vintage-style beveled and polished tortoisecolor pickguard complement the "old Martin" amber of the top. The flawless polished gloss lacquer body finish, satin neck finish, and bone nut and compensated saddle keep the focus on beauty, function and great sound. Each Martin CSN Gerry Tolman Special Edition Tribute features a special "CSN" commemorative laseretched neck block, an interior label plus a second tribute photo label of Gerry Tolman. Guitars in this Special Edition are delivered in a Geib style hardshell case
Martin CSN Gerry Tolman Special Edition Tribute Guitar Features:
- Construction: Mahogany blocks/dovetail neck joint
- Finish: Natural
- Body size: D-14 fret
- Top: Solid Engelmann spruce
- Rosette: Style 45
- Top bracing pattern: Standard ''X'' scalloped - forward shifted
- Top braces: Solid Sitka spruce 5/16''
- Back material: Solid East Indian rosewood
- Back purfling: Style 45
- Side material: Solid East Indian rosewood
- Endpiece: Grained ivoroid
- Endpiece inlay: Black/white Boltaron
- Binding: Grained ivoroid
- Top inlay style: Bold herringbone
- Side inlay: Black/white Boltaron
- Back inlay: Black/white Boltaron
- Neck material: Select hardwood
- Neck shape: Low profile
- Nut material: Bone
- Headstock: Solid/diamond/squaretaper
- Headplate: Solid black ebony w/ CFM script logo in mother-of-pearl, CSN logo in abalone with M.O.P. border
- Heelcap: Grained ivoroid with black/white inlay
- Fingerboard material: Solid black ebony
- Scale length: 25.4''
- No. of frets clear: 14
- No. of frets total: 20
- Fingerboard width at nut: 1-3/4''
- Fingerboard width at 12th fret: 2-1/4''
- Fingerboard position inlays: Crosby, Stills & Nash & Young design
- Fingerboard binding: Grained ivoroid
- Finish back and sides: Polished gloss
- Finish top: Polished gloss w/ vintage toner
- Finish neck: Satin w/ polished headplate
- Bridge material: Solid black ebony
- Bridge style: Pyramid Stauffer style
- Bridge string spacing: 2-1/4''
- Saddle: 16'' radius/compensated - bone
- Tuning machines: Gotoh Nickel open-geared w/ butterbean knobs
- Bridge and end pins: Solid black ebony w/ abalone pearl dots
- Pickguard: Tortoise color
- Case: 545E Geib style
- Interior label: 1 Label signed by David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, and Neil Young, Numbered in sequence, one photo of Gerry Tolman