The Best of Both Worlds in a Single Mic!
The Artist Series new kick-drum mic, the ATM250DE dual-element instrument microphone features cardioid condenser and hypercardioid dynamic capsules combined in a single housing. Audio-Technica's innovative use of two polar patterns is ideal for kick drum: the hypercardioid dynamic element focuses tightly on the aggressive attack of the beater, while the condenser captures the round tonalities of the shell. The elements are positioned in a perfect phase relationship, something practically impossible to achieve with two separate microphones. Includes a professional isolation clamp to provide secure mounting, versatile positioning and effective dampening of unwanted mechanical noise.Audio-Technica ATM250DE At-a-Glance:
- Best of Both Worlds
- Multiple Mics with Perfect Phase
Best of Both Worlds
Many engineers use a dynamic mic inside the kick drum to capture the harmonic content and "thump" of the kick and a condenser back a bit to capture the spectrum of sound coming off the shell and resonant head. The ATM250DE conveniently has both a dynamic mic capsule and a condenser capsule. With the ATM250DE, you can get the classic sound of a dynamic mic in a kick drum with the detail afforded by a quality condenser - in a single mic.
Multiple Mics with Perfect Phase
Of course, good engineers know that pointing numerous mics at a single source sound is a great way to get huge sounds, but it can often introduce phase issues, resulting in thin sounds. And if there's ever a place that you don't want thin, it's on a kick drum. With the ATM250DE, Audio-Technica has placed the capsules in perfect phase relationship, a feat they claim is practically unachievable with two microphones.
The ATM250DE isn't just for kick drums. Use it anywhere you want a huge sound. Beef up your guitar tracks, add clarity to bass tracks without losing the low frequency content. You could even use it for vocals. If you can mic it, the ATM250DE will capture it twice with stunning clarity. The included cable preserves the integrity of the signal from both capsules, allowing you to put them on separate tracks for mixing.
- Audio-Technica's proven dual-element design features two elements (condenser and dynamic) enclosed in a single housing
- Cardioid (condenser) and Hypercardioid (dynamic) pickup patterns
- 40-20,000 Hz (condenser) and 40-15,000 Hz (dynamic) frequency responses
- 16.5' dual shielded, 8-conductor cable, 5-pin XLRF-type connector at microphone, two 3-pin XLRM-type output connectors
- Neodymium dynamic element provides punch and attack, while the condenser element captures the full audio spectrum
- Elements are positioned in a perfect phase relationship, something practically unachievable with two separate microphones
- Perfect for kick drum, guitar amps and instrument use
- Integral 80 Hz HPF switch and 10 dB pad (condenser element)
- Versatile mounting options and effective dampening of mechanical noise thanks to included AT8471 isolation clamp
- Corrosion-resistant contacts from gold-plated XLRM-type connector
- Rugged, all-metal design and construction for years of trouble-free use