Get That Signature Neve Sound!
The Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5032 features the same preamplifier design as the Portico 5012 module, yet adds a premium Neve-tailored equalizer. It's full of "sweet" and "musical" Neve-signature sonic character, and you can engage the Portico 5032's unique "Silk" mode for even more vintage-console flavor. This Portico module is a superb choice for any studio's front end. And, thanks to its independent transformer-coupled line-level input for the EQ section, you can take advantage of the Portico 5032's first-class performance during mixdown, as well.Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5032 Microphone Preamp/EQ at a Glance:
- An excellent preamp and EQ combo
- Great for everything from initial tracking to mixing
- The finer points of EQ, Neve style
An excellent preamp and EQ combo
The Portico 5032 is a single channel mic pre/EQ with an independent transformer-coupled line level input for the EQ section. It includes a full-featured Mic Pre identical to the 5012 with the addition of a flexible 3-band equalizer in the classic Neve tradition. The 5032 is equipped with high and low frequency shelving curves and a parametric mid band covering 80Hz-8kHz in two ranges. The output stage is identical with that of the Portico 5012, using single-sided circuitry, driving a carefully configured output transformer that can deliver a full + 25dBu from the balanced and ground-free secondary winding.
Great for everything from initial tracking to mixing
The half-rack 5032 is ideal for both tracking and mixing applications with selectable mic or line inputs. Both paths have full access to the EQ, phase, silk and mute making it the ideal choice for either standalone operation, or forming the core of a larger mixing system. As with the entire Portico range, the 5032's robust steel chassis provides total magnetic screening and exceptional mechanical stability. The front panel is machined from a solid 1/8" aluminum plate with a steel sub panel behind it.
The finer points of EQ, Neve style
The subtleties of audio circuit design as relating to sonic performance are becoming more clearly understood by designers and professional users. For example, it is evident that frequencies above 20kHz and incredibly small distortion and non-harmonic artifacts, affect the way that humans perceive sound. Specifications and measurements do not fully disclose these sonic qualities that are important to sound engineers and musicians. There is no substitute for hours of patient listening and experimental bench work that results in the sweet and silky sound of Rupert Neve's classic designs.
The Portico 5032 equalizer section makes use of both high-frequency and low-frequency shelving characteristics that provide steeply rising or falling curve shapes. Such curves, when used aggressively, enable second and even third harmonics to be varied in relation to a fundamental, allowing the natural sound of a musical instrument to be varied. Used less aggressively, bands of frequencies above or below the "turnover" frequency can be adjusted to desired levels.
These sections each provide EQ curves that approximate to 6dB/octave with a boost or cut of up to 15dB and a true "flat" response at the center of the control track. Frequencies chosen for these "turnover" points are the result of critical listening and follow traditional equalizer patterns.Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5032 Microphone Preamp/EQ Features:
- High Pass Filters: Continuously variable swept frequency from 20Hz to 250Hz.
- Gain: Unity to +66dB in 6dB steps, Trim continuously adjustable from -6dB to +6dB
- Buss Output: Output is designed to feed a Buss-mix Amplifier at the internal system level of -2.5 dBu.
- Maximum Output Level: Maximum output from 20Hz to 40kHz is +25dBu.
- Mute: Mutes Main Output only.
- Total Harmonic Distortion and Noise at 1kHz, +20 dBu: Better than 0.001 percent
- Total Harmonic Distortion and Noise at 20Hz, +20dBu:
Better than 0.002 percent
- Total Harmonic Distortion and Noise @ 20Hz, +20dBu with Silk Engaged: Better than 0.2 percent second harmonic
- Low Shelving EQ: +/- 15dB boost or cut. Corner frequency 160Hz
- High Shelving EQ: +/- 15dB boost or cut. Corner frequency 8kHz/16kHz, switch selectable
- Mid Peak EQ: +/- 15dB boost or cut. Continously variable frequency, 80 to 800Hz or 800Hz to 8000Hz switchable
- Phantom Power: +48 Volts DC +/- 1 percent
- Power requirements: Voltage range: 9V to 18V DC
- Connector: 5.5mm X 2.1mm DC jack, Center Positive