Today we pick up where we left off yesterday in the discussion of Roland’s Studio Package Pro. If you’re just coming in today you may want to check out yesterday’s inSync to give this part a context.
Yesterday we covered the basics. Today we’re going to explain how you would take advantage of the included software and soft synths by way of a short tutorial.
Let’s take a look at how easy it is to edit and record one of Logic RPC Pro’s bundled soft synths. By the way, the SI-24 has a built-in MIDI interface, so if one MIDI port is enough, you don’t need to spend extra money on one.
1. Make sure you have your MIDI controller’s MIDI Out connected to the SI-24’s MIDI In.
2. The SI-24 is programmed to open Logic’s Screen Sets, so to select an open MIDI Track, all you have to do is press the SCREEN set button on the SI-24, then button Number One on the Keypad – this opens the Arrange Screen.
3. Click on one of the MIDI tracks that are found below the twenty-four audio tracks.
4. Make sure your MIDI controller and the track you are recording to in Logic RPC Pro are both assigned to the same MIDI channel (It’s best to use any channel from 2-16, as the SI sends its data on channel 1.).
5. From the SI-24, hold down the SHIFT key, and press the OUTPUT button. This is an easy way to open the track mixer in Logic RPC Pro for the soft synths. Using the Track STATUS buttons on the SI-24, press the track that you wish to record your part on.
6. Click on the “INSERT” button found at the top of your track in Logic RPC Pro, and select one of the soft synths. For this example, we’ll use the ES P. Each soft synth comes with a number of preset patches, and you can edit and save your own custom patches. We’ll use the ES P’s default patch for this example.
7. Play the keys on your MIDI controller and you can hear the soft synth now. You can also see the level of the soft synths in the track mixer’s level meter display.
8. If you wish to edit the patch, hold down the SHIFT key on the SI-24, and press the PLUG-IN button.
9. The soft synth will open, and you can use the knobs on the SI-24 to adjust the different patch settings, just like you would from an analog synth. It’s this kind of easy editing that makes the SI-24 such a convenient and valuable asset in your studio.
10. To record your part, press the Track Status button on the SI-24 until it is flashing red.
11. You can record your part while in the Track Mixer for the soft synth, or in Logic RPC Pro’s Arrange Window.
12. To get back to the Arrange Window, press the SCREEN button on the SI-24, then Number One on the keypad.
13. Rewind to the beginning of the song, and press Record and Play on the SI-24’s transport control.
14. Record your part.
15. When you are finished, press STOP.
16. You can save your work from the SI-24, by pressing the SHORTCUT button and the Number One on the keypad.
17. The SI-24 includes a number of editing and other shortcuts to speed up your work. If you wish to edit your part, you can do this in Logic RPC Pro’s Matrix window.
18. Press the SCREEN Button then the Number Three on the keypad. You can edit note values, pitch, quantizing, and MIDI controller data.
Roland is currently offering a $100 rebate offer through August 31, 2003, when you purchase a Studio Package Pro.