Murphy’s Law states that anything that can go wrong will go wrong — and probably at the most inconvenient time and place. However, a corollary states that whatever you’re prepared for won’t go wrong. We don’t know if that’s true, but we do know that in the world of live gigging, you need to be prepared for just about any eventuality.
With that in mind, we present the Drummer’s Essential Toolkit, courtesy of Sweetwater Sales Engineer Derek Senestraro. The DET includes everything you need to keep the gig rolling in the face of problems — at least from a drum standpoint!
Gather these items, store them in a handy bag, case, or toolbox — and don’t forget to take the kit along with you to the gig — and never fear Murphy rearing his ugly head at a gig again!
- Drum key
- Spare snare head or backup snare drum
- Duct tape (for muffling and other vital uses)
- Backup bass drum pedal or replacement parts (spring, strap, etc.)
- Felts for cymbal stands
- Plastic sheaths for cymbal stands
- Spare and backup sticks, mallets, and brushes
- Replacement snare strainer string or nylon strap
- Muffling for bass drum (pillow, pad, etc.)
- Screwdrivers (both phillips and standard) and other tools
- Headphones or in-ear monitors