Q: “Can you use LENRD Bass Traps and Venus Bass Traps together?”
A: Yes! In fact, they work extremely well together in certain circumstances. The big advantage of Venus traps is their ability to – when placed properly – absorb problems in the room as low as 40 Hz. This is very advantageous, especially for those of you working in a moderately sized room with very good listening equipment. For those of you familiar with ”room modes” and how they work, consider the following:
- For tangential and oblique modes and axial modes above 75 Hz, LENRDs are most effective.
- For axial modes below 75 Hz, some Venus Traps should be incorporated in the treatment of the room.
For those of you not familiar with room modes (which is most of us), consider the following:
Use LENRDs alone (i.e., no Venus Traps) if:
- You are not using a subwoofer and/or
- You are not using reference loudspeakers with a valid response below 75 Hz and
- You have a small room – usually less than 12’x12’x8′.
Consider some Venus Traps in addition to the LENRDs if you:
- Are using a subwoofer and/or
- Are using reference loudspeakers with a valid response below 75 Hz and
- You have a medium to large sized room – usually larger than 12’x12’x8′.
Most reference loudspeakers these days are being made with a valid response down to 40 to 50 Hz. Therefore, Venus might be applicable. However, generally speaking, only larger rooms really benefit from the added cost of Venus Traps. Small rooms usually don’t have the space for Venus and often don’t have a frequency response in the range where Venus would help. LENRDs can take care of most of the problems in these rooms.