117th AES inSync Report – DAY 4 of 5.
Welcome to this installment of our inSync report of the 117th AES Convention! Each day this week we’ll cover some of the latest and greatest products that appeared for the first time at this year’s AES show. If you’d like to get the whole scoop on our online report, check it out here. Enjoy today’s installment!
Manley Labs have really come up with some new and fresh for preamp loving collectors: two different and discrete preamps in one box – the all-new TNT! One channel is the exact same preamp found in the SLAM! with tubes and transformers. The second one is a fresh “No Tubes” design from Hutch and is inspired by old British console preamps with a nasty combination of “No Tubes” design with transformers (not a clone of anything previously built). Both channels of the TNT are designed around the basic goal of plug and play ease-of-use. According to Manley (which we’re sure is right), the tube channel excels on traditionally difficult sources such as bright guitars, reed and brass, cymbals and various voices. The “No Tubes” channel might be more suited for smoother vocals, drums, bass and raunchy guitars. The best thing about the TNT is that you’ll have two, highly-qualified mic preamps in 1U to test and use!
Microboards Primera Bravo II
Bravo II is Primera’s newest and most advanced “all-in-one” disc publishing system. It combines fast, automated robotic CD/DVD duplication along with full-color, 4800 dpi direct-to-disc printing – all in one compact, desktop unit. Bravo II is ideal for producing either one at a time, unique discs or jobs of up to 50 identical discs at a time. Models are available for both Windows®-based PCs and Mac computers.
PreSonus ADL 600
The ADL 600 is a high voltage two-channel microphone preamp designed by world-renown analog tube circuit designer Anthony DeMaria. The ADL 600 utilizes a unique high voltage Class A, discrete design with three vacuum tubes per channel for maximum headroom and tonatility. The ADL 600 is built by hand in the USA and utilizes the finest components in the world including switched attenuators, military grade vacuum tubes, analog VU and LED meters, custom-designed transformers and the list goes on. No expense has been spared with the ADL 600 down to the last polypropylene film capacitor. The ADL is big, warm, smooth and clear – a sound like no other!
PreSonus ADL 600 Features:
- High-Voltage Class A Discrete Design (60dB gain)
- Selectable Microphone Input Impedance
- Switched Gain and Vaiable Fine Trim Controls
- Microphone, Instrument and Line Inputs
- Variable High Pass Filter, 48V, -20dB Pad, Polarity Invert
- Analog VU and Fast-Acting LED Metering
PreSonus BLUETUBE Dual Path
The Bluetube Dual Path stereo microphone/instrument preamplifier delivers the best of both worlds with solid state transparency and tube warmth. Each channel features dual path technology enabling separate control between a transparent solid state preamp stage and a tube preamp stage, delivering a wide range of sounds from pristine and clear to fat and warm. The Bluetube DP is the perfect front-end microphone/instrument preamp for any digital audio workstation.
PreSonus BLUETUBE Dual Path Features:
- Stereo Dual Path Mic/Instrument Preamp Using 12AX7 Tube
- High Headroom, Class A Gain Stage (55dB gain)
- XLR and 1/4″ High-Z Neutrik Combo Connectors
- -20dB Pad/Polarity Reversal/80Hz Filter on Each Channel
- Two Illuminated VU Meters
The FIREBOX is the most powerful compact 24-bit/96k FireWire recording interface for both Windows and Macintosh computers. The FIREBOX includes two dual Mic/Instrument preamplifiers (with 48V phantom power) on the front panel along with two balanced TRS line inputs, six balanced TRS analog outputs, and both MIDI and SPDIF I/O allowing for recording and playback of six inputs and eight outputs simultaneously. Additional features include stereo headphone output on the front panel, as well as mix control to balance monitoring levels between mixed input and main output signals for zero-latency monitoring. The FIREBOX comes ready-to-go with Steinberg’s Cubase LE 48-track 24-bit/96K recording software, and is also compatible with many popular ASIO/WDM and Core Audio based applications.
PreSonus FIREBOX Features:
- 24-Bit/96kHz, FireWire (IEEE 1394) Audio Interface
- 2 Discrete Microphone/Instrument Preamps
- 2 Analog Line Inputs, 6 Balanced Line Outputs
- S/PDIF Input/Output, MIDI Input/Output
- Cubase LE Recording Software Included
RME Fireface 800
The Fireface 800 combines the latest proven technologies of previous RME products with the fastest FireWire technology. The Fireface 800 offers the some of the best instrument input implementation to be found anywhere in an audio interface plus a high power headphone output and signal-to-noise ratios of 119 dBA – typically RME!
RME Fireface 800 Features:
- 8 balanced line I/O’s operate a 192kHz, 119dBA Dynamic Range.
- Direct ASIO Monitoring Cabable Headphone Output.
- 4 Phantom Powered Mic Pres with Balanced XLR and TRS inputs.
- Hi-Z Input For Guitar and Bass With Built-In “Tube Sound” Limiter
- 2 x ADAT Digital I/O
- Simultaneous use of XLR and TRS allow 35 simultaneous inputs to 28 tracks at once.
- TotalMix DSP routing works in stand-alone mode as a submixer, format converter, mic-pre, headphone mixer, A/D-D/A converter and more!
- SteadyClock funtions as a studio Master clock and removes jitter.
- Optional LTC and VITC Sync.
- Multi-Port Firewire hub connectivity allows use of multiple Fireface 800’s on one FireWire port.
The new NT2-A is a professional large capsule (1″) condenser studio microphone with variable pick-up pattern, variable high pass filter and variable pad. These features provide greater creative control and versatility.
Three 3-position switches located on the mic body provide the freedom to step from Figure 8, Cardioid or Omni polar pick-up patterns; from a flat response to either 80 Hz or 40 Hz high-pass filter and a Pad adjustment of 0 dB, -5 dB or -10 dB attenuation.
The heart of the NT2-A is the Australian designed and manufactured TYPE HF1 dual diaphragm capsule. The frequency and transient response of this new transducer has been voiced to complement today’s modern recording techniques, and yet still evoke the silky smooth character of the legendary microphones of the 50’s and 60’s. The NT2-A includes a soft pouch and clip.
RODE NT2-A Features:
- The Australian designed and manufactured HF1 1″ edge terminated, gold sputtered, dual 5 um diaphragm capsule.
- 3-position variable polar pattern: Omni, Cardioid & Figure 8; all controlled on the mic.
- 3-position variable high-pass filter: Flat, 80 Hz or 40 Hz.
- 3-position variable pad: 0 dB, -5 dB or -10 dB.
- Ultra low noise, transformerless SMT circuitry.
- Wide dynamic range.
- High strength heat-treated steel mesh head.
- Durable satin nickel finish.
- Internal capsule shock mounting.
- Supplied complete with soft pouch and clip.
- Designed and manufactured in Sydney, Australia.
RODE NTG-1 & NTG-2
Always keeping us on our toes, the Australian microphone marvels, RODE showed us a couple of new shotgun microphones they’ve been working on! The NTG-1 and NTG-2 are both light-weight condenser shotgun mics which have been designed specifically with film, video and broadcast professionals in mind. Wide bandwidth and controlled polar patterns coupled with low noise SMT electronics makes either microphone a solid choice. After picking one up, I can tell that they had camera (and boom pole) operaters in mind – they’re REALLY light! Plus, they both feature a windscreen, integral hot shoe mount and a handy zip pouch. We didn’t have the opportunity to listen to them (yet), but with RODE, you can be sure that they sound great while not killing your budget.
Sony ACID Pro 5
ACID Pro 5 software is the ideal loop-based music composition and production tool for original music creation. Revolutionary since the first version, the tradition of innovation continues with version 5. Powerful new features and advanced functionality make ACID Pro 5 the most comprehensive application of its kind. ACID Pro software is the tool of choice for millions of industry professionals who want to create songs, remix tracks, produce 5.1 surround audio mixes, develop music beds, score videos, and much more. ACID software is ideal for real-time pitch-shifting, time-stretching, and groove quantization of audio and MIDI events. With new technologies and advanced professional features, ACID software provides the most powerful, user-friendly environment for everything from basic song creation to complex video scoring.
When it debuted in 1998, ACID Pro software launched a revolution in music creation. By offering a straightforward interface and “pick, paint, and play” interactivity, it was the first loop-based music creation application to put professional studio composition and editing power in the hands of producers at nearly every level of expertise. True to its revolutionary roots, ACID Pro 5 software is the power-user’s application. New features such as Groove Mapping quantization tools, nestable folder tracks, native VST effects support, event reverse, and our patent-pending Media Manager technology allow for levels of music production unmatched in any other program. There is a lot to talk about with ACID Pro 5 – much more than we can do here. So, the following are some of the new features you’ll find in this studio essential tool:
- Over 1,000 music loops in multiple genres
- Media Manager technology
- Metronome for playback and record
- Customizable UI and keyboard mapping
- Flash™ (.swf ) file format import
- Enhanced media previewing
- Save project paths in rendered media
- Nestable folder tracks for enhanced project organization
- Real-time event reverse
- Bus-to-bus routing
- Downmix monitoring
- Improved audio timestretching and beat detection
- Drop one-shots in real time
- Customizable project media folders
- Envelope changes applied to multiple selected events
- Groove Mapping quantization tools with Groove Cloning
- ReWire support (mixer and device)
- VST effects support with automation and tempo sync
- Multiport VSTi soft synth support
- MIDI Piano Roll snap-to-scale filtering
- Tempo-based DirectX effects
- Audio Plug-In Manager
- Bypass all effects command
- Integrated disc-at-once CD burning
Steinberg Nuendo 3
Steinberg’s Nuendo 3 is designed to serve the needs for everyone producing sound for film, television, video or game. The new version of Steinberg’s renowned media production system offers more features for post production than ever before and also sets new standards in surround production. An extensive set of new features for “traditional” stereo audio production and an overall enhancement of many existing functions make Nuendo one of the most powerful tools for any kind of media production available.
Top new features of Steinberg Nuendo 3:
- Import and Export of AAF (Advanced Authoring Format) integrates the most modern project interchange format which is supported by companies such as AVID, Apple, Digidesign, SADiE, Merging, Fairlight and Adobe
- The improved Media Management tools include user definable Event Attributes and Extended Search functions enabling the user to setup and search his own audio databases; the convenient Renaming functionality allows for comfortable and quick renaming of multiple clips, regions and events
- The new Warp to Picture feature allows lightning-fast matching of audio to picture, such as fine tuning of dialog replacement or aligning music to picture
- Seamless integration of Pinnacle Liquid video editing technology through X-Send project import from Liquid video editing applications
- New AFL/PFL functionality: pressing the L (Listen) button on any channel enables you to exclusively monitor channel signal on the audition bus with routing and the output to your mix bus remaining untouched
- A Pull up/down 0.1% option is included in the QuickTime video player as well as the new DirectX player for adjustable speed of the video playback, allowing video files that have passed an NTSC Telecine process to be readjusted to match the original audio recordings
- External FX plug-ins: Nuendo 3 offers direct integration of external hardware effects processors into the VST audio mixer, allowing you to use your favorite outboard gear just like plug-ins – including delay compensation
- MixConvert is a plug-in capable of translating from one surround format to another, all down-, cross- or even up-mixing is done automatically by MixConvert still leaving user options to optimize the new mix
- New event-based Volume Envelopes for direct control of dynamics: these new event-based envelopes make level editing even easier than before
- New MIDI Device Panels grant direct access to external MIDI hardware, allowing you to import VST Mixer Maps or create your own editing panels with direct access from the Track Inspector or the mixer’s channel strip
- Integration of Studio Connections protocol developed with Yamaha allows for total recall of supported external devices such as mixers, audio interfaces or effect processors