We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Introduce Yourself

>What type of studio do you have?
>What type of work do you do?
>How long have you been working in the Industry?
>Do you work in the Industry full time?
February 1, 2002 @04:39pm
xxFT13xx

Whats up people...My name is Mr. Sinister, but everyone calls me Sin for short.
Ive been a musician for a very long time, learning drums, guitar, bass, keyboards and other misc. equipment.
Ive only been recording for about 5 years. I know that sounds long, but it isnt. Time goes by pretty fast!
Here is a list of gear i own:
Ibanez GAX-7 6-string guitar
Zoom 505 Effects Pedal
DOD Amp
Casio HT-700 keyboard
Yamaha SY85 keyboard
Korg Electric Analog Synth
Roland VP-70 Voice Processor
Digitech GSP 21 Processor
Nord Lead I (maxxed out with every sound!)
Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro mixer
...Plus a whole lot of music programs/vst instruments and effects!!
Not a whole lot of gear, but enough to get me by. Besides, not everyone is rich!!
If anyones into Industrial/Tekno/EBM music, come check us out!
-Sin
http://zwap.to/ft13
February 7, 2002 @07:26pm
wrave

Hey everyone!
I performed back long enough ago that the 2nd guitar in the band was called the rhythm guitar. So, yes, I've been at it since the 60s. Switched to the bass in the late sixties and worked Detroit, the road and Ft. Wayne for lots of years.
I'm pretty new to recording and especially to the digital format used on PCs. I had a nice four track and mixer several years ago but got away from the music scene for quite a while. Then about this time last year I had a new PC with more power than I've ever had available before and an itch to see what I might do using it for music production. If my signature looks prefessional don't let it fool ya, it's just that the name came to me and it sounds good enough to use. For the time being Whiterock A/V Enterprizes is "ME"!
Last year I bought a Digi001 and a couple of mics. Got interested in learning keyboards and bought a PC2X. I also have an old MusicMan bass, a cheap Epiphone LP knock off and a true Epiphone dreadnought flattop made in the fifties by Gibson. That acoustic guitar is my baby. It sounds so sweet. I also have a Digitech guitar processor. I use all of this, right now, to put background harmonies behind the Native American flute. My goal is to produce a CD of meditation music. It would be nice to do this full time but instead I work as a programmer and a webmaster.
It's good to be here with you all and good to be working at music again...even if it's only "catch as catch can". I have missed the music and the people that are involved it it. Nice to meet you all. I'll be the one asking all the questions!!! TIA! WRAVE
February 8, 2002 @05:58pm
Silent223

Hey whats up!
Im a guitarist/singer/part-drummer/and more
I have a bedroom studio with a
P4 1.7 ghz HP
1024 MB of RAM
Behringer MIXER
Nady SCM 900 MIC
Shure Mic from Radioshack
70's acoustic Guitar
Les Paul (Univox Copy)
Fender Bullet
Crate Amp
Marshall Amp.
Behringer Virtualizer Pro
Zoom 505 Pedal for guitar
Dr. Groove
MIDI keyboard
Sonic foundry products
Fruity Loops
Waves Plugins and other stuff....
Pair of inexpensive headphones.
Ive been writing songs for at least 6 years, and just got my new computer to record them.
I will be attempting to sell my own music, but right now I'm in aa cover duo about twice a month with another member here, THEDRAGGON.
I wish I was full time, but Im a Stock boy in the winter and prospective landscaping business owner in the summer.
Later!
March 4, 2002 @03:46am
NO Exit

Hey, im new to this forum, but i have been reading it for a while. I have been recording stuff for 3 years or so. Some of my stuff includes
korg ms-2000
korg nx5r
ensoniq fizmo
novation bass station
roland dr 202
ibanez digital delay
eurotrack mixer
shure sm58
radioshack mic
logic audio
and alot of other software
i dont make any money off my music, but im learning and getting more into the sceen
March 24, 2002 @05:28am
conceptDIGITAL

I am a Visual Basic programmer and part-time multimedia/computer consultant who loves to listen to music. Unfortunately, I never had a talent for CREATING music, so to be a part of the music around me, I developed a talent for recording and mixing.
I have been dabbling in music since high school, when I helped a local band run their mixing board during practice. Since then, I spent about 15 years running a small church studio part-time. After about a 5 year spell of listening only, I have recently built a small digital studio at home with a PC, Sonar, an Aardvark Q10, an old DP-4 processor, a Mackie 1402, a couple of C-414's, and a pair of Mackie HR816's. Most of what I've been doing lately has been keyboard based recordings, though I've recorded everything from classical to church choirs to surf-gospel(!) to country to traditional rock.
Music preferences:
Classic Rock
Melodic Jazz
Energetic New Age
Meaningful Contemporary Christian
Specialty: Making silk purses with sow's ears
April 23, 2002 @07:47pm
bobnjul

I'm church worship leader & choral director. composer/arranger/conductor/keyboardist (of many styles). I like classical music, jazz & piano based rock the most. I have:
Two PIII's (one Laptop 1.2 Ghz & one Desktop 933 Ghz)
Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96
MOTU 828
Steinberg Cubase 5.1
Steinbert LM4 Drum Module
IK Sampletank XXL
NI B4
Gigastudio 160
Kurzweil PC2X
Beringer Mixer
assorted Mics
April 27, 2002 @01:29am
TeeCee

I have a "personal" studio. There are some older pictures of it on my web site.
I have worked on original material which has never seen the light of day. I started doing remixes for club play about a year ago with a DJ friend.
I started my musical non-career at the age of 11 but have not actually made it into the industry as a musician. I DJ on occasion to fill in for my friend. Didn't actually persue making music about 8 years ago and still it has to happen around my full time job as an Electrical Engineer. I didn't plan on DJing - ever.
May 1, 2002 @10:33pm
TRMP8R

KOROMIKO STUDIOS
We're a semi-pro studio, working primarily with rock and jazz groups, but also the odd classical ensemble.
Here's our (minimal) setup... those who like the feel of real knobs may be in for a nasty surprise...
2 X PCs (Server + DAW)
PIII 1GHz 512MB 220GB Storage
HP SureStore External RAID Array
SCOPE Fusion Platform (central routing and tracking)
- 48/96 track virtual mixing console (mono/stereo)
- VDAT recording module (32 track recorder)
- A16 Ultra (Analogue I/O 16 channel 96KHz)
- 1000's Soft synths/samplers/effects
LOGIC AUDIO Platinum 5 (mixdown)
- ANTARES MicModeler
- ANTARES AutoTune3
SIBELIUS 2
EMAGIC Unitor8 MkII for MIDI
EMU Proteus 2000
MOTU 2408 MkII (for talkback/2-track I/O only)
MOTU Digital Timepiece for Master SYNC
MACKIE 1604-VLZ Pro (for preamps)
MACKIE MDR 24/96 hard disc recorder
BEHRINGER Ultra DI4000 Pro
TL AUDIO C1 Classic Dual Valve Compressor
NEUMANN TLM-103
AKG C414B-ULS X 2
AKG C451B X 2
AKG D112
AKG D440
AKG D550
AKG C900
AKG D880
AUDIX D1,2XD2,D3,2XD4
AUDIX SCS-one
May 9, 2002 @03:38am
mrmulti

I own a computer consulting/store/business, and I am a songwriter/singer/musician. I have an old project studio with digital orchestrator pro, Alesis Midiverb, Sy77, Gr09, Strat, hummingbird, peavey mixer, midiman hisser/mixer and I have been making mp3's to put onto my mp3.com site:
I have been comparing cakewalk and pro tools, too.
http://www.mp3.com/michaelwells (all were recorded on the above stuff).
I am *not* an expert, but since I run a computer business, I now want to fold in my love of music and recording to what I do for a living. I want to expand my consulting to the home recording field. I want to sell good, cheap nuts to bolts systems that will allow the musician to create good music - right up to the mp3 file and/or making a good demo.
I will post and read in this forum, so I can get some recommendations as to the low, medium, and high end hardware/software/components needed to create a full system. $500-$1000 ,1000-2000, 2000-3000, and 3000+ including the computer.
May 13, 2002 @05:17pm
Foreverain4

i am currently running:
computer:
1ghz dell w/ 512mb ram
dual monitor setup with (1) 64mb agp slot and (1) 16mb pci.
(2) 17" flat screen monitors
(1) gadget labs wave pro 8/24 8 in 8 out 24 bit (1) midi port
(1) midiman 2x2 usb midi port
(1) alesis adat edit pci card w/ lightpipe and spdif in and out
software:
sonic foundry sound forge 5.0, vegas audio/video 2.0, acid 3.0
cakewalk pro audio 9 (for midi)
antares autotune 3.0
izotope ozone ( for mastering)
recorders:
(3) alesis adat xt20's
(1) tascam 08-80 reel to reel 8 track (1/2" tape)
mixers:
mackie 32-8 with meter bridge
samson mix pad 12ch
alesis studio 32
monitors:
tannoy powered
infinity
amps:
alesis pa 100
qsc something
keyboards:
kurzweil pc2x
alesis qs8.1
mics:
(1) apex 450 tube condenser w/ 9 polarity paterns
(1) shure KSM32
(4) akg c1000s
(4) shure SM57
(1) sennheiser 602 bass drum mic
(1) audio technica uuuhhh...... bass drum mic
(6) sennheiser tom mics
a few more i cant think of right now
processors/pres:
(4) art tube pac's mic pres
(1) art tube mp mic pre
(3) behringer multicom pro compressors (12ch worth)
(1) zoom 2101 fx unit
(1) digitech S100 fx unit
ok....uhhh... i think that is about it.
later
May 13, 2002 @07:18pm
ShockTestMonkey

Hey there :)
Been composing music for 15 years (non-professionally) and have recently made the jump to a decent enough home recording studio. All the techno-nbabble is hard enough to wade through, but at least the introduction of forums such as this, makes the journey a little easier to bear (and enjoy).
I'm a Kurzweil/Korg/Yamaha man to the core, but theres always room for more!
What have I got? Oh you mean, "what do I want to brag about" at this point? lol. Its a humble set up:
Kurzweil K2600XL
Kurzweil K2500XL(rack)
Korg Wavestation
Korg M1R
Yamaha DX-7 x 2
Yamaha QY-70
Roland JP8000
Plenty of computer recording gear for the moment, but still working out the logistics of it all.
Havin a great time just makin the music. Looking forward to getting our band's first CD out and about for all to hopefully enjoy. :)
May 14, 2002 @11:44pm
Dr. Bird

Hey, everyone!
I'm a college student now, been at music for about 9 years. I play jazz, rock, funk, whatever.
i have
Kurzweil PC88
New Korg CX3
Mackie 1604-VLZpro
2 akg C1000
3 SM58
1 SM57
2 Mackie SRM450
Roland VS890
my goal is, of course, to always be buying more stuff. I gig so I can buy more stuff to gig with. How stupid is that? Hooray
June 8, 2002 @11:57pm
Mincer

Originally posted by AcousticPro
>What type of studio do you have?
Home studio, PC based, nice & simple. For the gear I use, check out my home page.
>What type of work do you do?
I am a guitar teacher/performer/producer of my own recordings
>How long have you been working in the Industry?
been a pro musician for about 10 years
>Do you work in the Industry full time?

yuppers, and very happy about that!
June 17, 2002 @12:30am
adamquek

Hello there. As the topic suggests...
Name : Adam
Experience : None
I'm primarily (alright. I am. And nothing but. Alas.) a guitarist (of sorts). I've fiddled around with some home recording on a VERY base level.. just an SB Live! card with Cakewalk, for MIDI and audio editing. I don't even have a mic :( I record direct with a POD Pro. I recently acquired (rip off of the century) a TASCAM MD 4 track, and fiddled around with it. I hate recording at my computer because it's in the hall and it's hot and stuff and it's a common living area and blahblahblah. But the 4 track turned out to be very dissapointing sigh. Oh well. Heh. Thats. er. all? Mmyep. Oh yes.. I'm a student. Or I will be again. Soon.
June 19, 2002 @01:37am
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!