0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Monitors-homemade

futurefaithmusic

I was just wondering if anyone had a resources for making "homemade" monitors.
I am wanting to mess around with building speaker boxes and the like, and want to try my hands at my first set of power monitors-any suggestions?
Also, where I could get amps, crossovers and top of the line speakers?
I am having trouble finding anything online, all I am finding is about making home audio speaker cabinets, but nothing on monitors, please help!!
December 18, 2005 @04:19am
Hynek

"Home audio speakers" and "studio monitors" will obviously be extremely closely interrelated issues. I wouldn't worry so much about getting info speciffically on monitors in the first step. (Whoever invented that we'd use the word "monitors" for studio speakers, anyway? )
For X-overs you'll need to use PES or PE capacitors and metal film resistors rather than bipolar caps and wire resistors. Both should be generally available. For the three pairs I've built I always used SEAS speakers (www.seas.no). Not sure of their presence on the American market though.
December 18, 2005 @10:20am
MrKeysAOO

I have a friend who is an Accoustic Engineer. He designed (among other things) the monitors that I use---which are amazing---and he either sells the finished speakers or his custom drivers and x-overs and bluprints for building the cabinet. E-mail me at this address if you'd like his information: jeremiahhorner@hotmail.com
December 18, 2005 @06:12pm
Spiritworks

WWW.Partsexpress.com
I have a book, which I got from them, that is very informative and useful to anyone wanting to understand speaker building. I also have a program they sell that helps in designing speakers and matching components/drivers. I would like to sell both. Private me if interested: keymod@optonline.net
December 19, 2005 @12:46am