0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 5

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

M-Audio Trigger Finger

Watershed

I just ordered this, and was looking for any input regarding it.
I would like to slice beats and assign the sections to the pads, like you can do on a MPC. Are there programs that allow me to do this, or what is your set-up like?
December 12, 2005 @12:15am
Mitchman

I have a Trigger Finger and love it! I use it all the time for programming drum and other parts.
Any program that can be controlled via MIDI can be controlled by the Trigger Finger. I would say, go for a sampler program that will allow you to load audio segments, then play those segments using the pads on Trigger Finger.
Should get you close....
December 12, 2005 @10:49pm
Watershed

Do you have any recomondations on sampler programs. I have Fruityloops 4 right now, but that isn't really cuttin the cheese. I was thinking about reason. Wat I really want to do, is sample off of vinyl and assign sections of the sample to the 16 pads. Like a kick, snare, or high-hat break.
I'm super novice at this so be patient, if anyone could provide step-by-step stuff it would be greatly appreciated. I just got the trigger finger and what to use it for all it's worth!
December 13, 2005 @05:41pm
futurefaithmusic

Watershed,
I have a trigger finger as well, and it's a great tool for making beats.
I use Ableton Live, Reason, and iDrum. The trigger finger works well in all three and has presets for those. Once you get it, it's ready to go, but the real nice part about it is that it is user asignable too, use the included software to program it to your liking. Your going to love it, I promise!
M-audio did us good with this one.
If you want to assign samples to the pads, probably Live 5 is going to be your best bet, but any program with assignable midi channels should work. In garage band you can even assign the pads to play a certain note on the C-scale (midi) It's pretty intuative, but does take some time getting use to it. I sample vinyl to gargeband and ableton and it works great for cueing and making beats from samples. Good Luck!
Go to m-audio's website and download all the movies about the trigger finger you can find, then go to ableton's website and download all of the tutorial videos for Live, and this will help to get you started.
December 14, 2005 @05:16am
Watershed

I just got mine this morning, and have been playing around with it for a couple hours now.
Will having live lite software prevent me from using the trigger finger to it's fullest extent?
I'm kind of lost on the enigma too, I can play some sounds in live, but not any of the drums. I'm also lost on how to assign things like pitch to the faders and what not.
I have fruityloops, but I can only play one sound on all the pads! I'm sure I'll figure it out, but it's frustrating.
December 14, 2005 @08:25pm
futurefaithmusic

Yes, Live Lite is limited use. For instance, when you enable midi use, you cannot save anything, which is redundant, because Live Lite serves very little purpose when not being able to save.
Were you able to download any tutorials?
BTW, enigma is a little intimidating at first, but just keep working with it. Definately take the time to read your manual, there's a lot of info on there.
I assume you are using a PC rather than a mac? Make sure you have all of the neccesary drivers installed too.
Beyond that, like any new hardware, it's going to take some getting used to, but it's well worth the money, and as you probably already know, it's pretty well built.
I know I am being pretty vague with my advice, but it's hard to give you details over a forum. Sorry.
December 15, 2005 @01:51am
Watershed

I appreciate your help.
I am using a PC, with windows XP.
I just got this trigger finger two days ago, I guess I'm impaitent and don't like the learning curve.
Do you have any links to tutorials, I checked out m-audio, but the video for the trigger finger just shows me what I can do not how to do it. This is my first piece of midi gear ever, I'm used to playing live instruments.
I'm frustrated because I know what this thing is capable of, yet I'm lost on how to start using it. Thanks agains for your attempts at helping.
December 15, 2005 @04:39pm
iomega

I just got this hardware and I'm really struggling with it right now.
How do you use enigma?
for example, after I make all the changes and send it to the device, I pressed memory recall and pad 1 ... it puts everything I have setup for that into the trigger finger..
now say if I want to program for pad2 or pad3 and so on.. how do I use enigma to do this....I really feel like I wasted my money here. :(
plz.. help me out here if anyone has the time TIA!!!
msn: peanut2k3@hotmail.com
June 20, 2006 @01:33am
jimifreak

I wrote a trigger finger tutorial here: http://etechdocs.com/tutorials/triggerfinger/
I was a little frustrated with it at first. But now I really like it.
November 13, 2006 @12:28am
joni

what drivers should i use for m-audio trigger finger?
October 15, 2007 @07:09pm
bcbbanga4l

well im using fruity loops i am having trouble trying to use this trigger finger with preset sounds.. any help?
January 15, 2008 @09:23pm
charles.monteiro

hi, first post
I own a Trigger Finger , downloaded the latest drivers and I can't find from a number of apps, the midi drivers for it. I am using the USB output strictly to connect to my PC i.e. I am not using the midi output on the trigger finger.
I installed from M-audio what appeared to be the latest drivers.
thanks
-Charles
February 24, 2008 @05:26am
0n3m4n4rm33

I wrote a trigger finger tutorial here: http://etechdocs.com/tutorials/triggerfinger/
I was a little frustrated with it at first. But now I really like it.

Did u ever do one for mac?
March 25, 2009 @05:14am