0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

DP3 and Virtual Instruments

buttman

I am in the market for some virtual instruments to use with my DP3 setup and I was wondering what works. I have Reason and Rewire/IAC is just eating my lunch. I was looking at Native Instruments Battery, Reaktor, and Absynth. Anyone using these with MAS? Thanks for any input.
July 20, 2001 @11:38am
Kenny Bergle

buttman,
Good name! Kenny Bergle here, I'm the moderator of this forum and I work here at Sweetwater as Sr. Sales Engineer.
Many of my customers are using virtual instruments with DP. I agree that Reason is a bear to use with Rewire. Too bad becuase it is so cool. I have a friend that has figured out a way to use Reaktor inside DP, I will ask him how he did it. I personally use Bitheadz Unity DS1 and Retro AS1 inside DP and they work great! They come up inside DP as regular FreeMIDI intsruments. I also use Virus, but unfortunately it doesn't not support MAS yet (they are working on it).
The Native Instruments work on VST. They will work in DP, if you change from MAS to VST (ASIO) as your audio drivers in the DP Audio System basics window.
But if you do that, you can't use your MAS plugins, unless they are MAS/VST cross-supported. I said that wrong, but do you know what I mean? What you could do is change to VST, do your Native Instruments tracks, commit them to audio, and then change back to MAS to complete the project. Or vice versa... (If this is totally confusing to you, please call me at the # below and I'll try to confuse you some more! Just kidding about the confusing part, call me and I will try my best to un-confuse you!)
I hope this helps. Thanks for participating in our new Forums section of the Sweetwater website.
July 26, 2001 @12:14am
Rishathra

I also use Virus, but unfortunately it doesn't not support MAS yet (they are working on it).
Huh? my understanding was that the ONLY reason the Virus works AT ALL is that it uses the same chip that pro Tools uses (big boy pro tools.. not the 001). How can the virus work on an MAS system? Wouldn't it just eat the piss out of that processor, no matter WHAT you were using?
Sorry to sound attacking, it's not meant.. you're just messing with my sensibilities, man!
Rish baby Rish
July 26, 2001 @03:31am
Kenny Bergle

Rish,
No problem, That does need explaining. The current hop is that the new chip-based dsp cards like the UAD1 by Universal Audio and the PowerCore by TC Electronic will provide the power for a Virus in a "native" system. Access feels that it is only a matter of time. So we can only wait and hope!
Sorry for not fully explaining that. Also, they hope to take advantage of the faster dual processor chips to do Virus 'natively' in the future... Ah, the future...
July 26, 2001 @02:14pm
Rishathra

so.. not to beat the dead horse.. but wouldn't virus sound QUITE a bit different if they had to recode it for a different chipset? I heard that even guys who are SEASONED Virus users could tell very little differance between the real box and the plug in running the same sequences and programs, with the exception that the plug in did not contain the "noise" of the ad/da conversion.
So I guess my question stands..
Rish
July 26, 2001 @10:56pm
Kenny Bergle

Hard to say if it would sound different. Probably would be a good answer. Fact is many synths sound different. I have had 4 K250 Kurzweil units and all four of them sounded different even though they were the same unit and the same sound set. Weird, eh? If you are suggesting that Virus wouldn't sound as good on another chip, that's something we'll have to see about if and when that becomes real. I don't know about the programming aspect as I am only a musician/engineer and don't do computer programming. Sounds like you may know more about that than I do.
But really, isn't the one of the features of a soft synth the fact that you can do wacky things that you could never do in the physical world? Making sounds that no one has ever heard before is one of the goals of a soft synth (in my studio, anyway). And since no one has ever heard it before, how are we to say it sounds quite a bit different.
I understand your point about the same patches sounding almost the same on the box and in TDM. I'm sure if they did it once, they can do it again. If they want to...
July 27, 2001 @04:31am