rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

VoiceMasterPro/Microphone need advice

The Proffessor

I've been using a Groove Tubes 66 with my Focusrite VM pro, with decent results as my main channel strip.
I am looking to upgrade the mic locker & want some mics that will match up well. I'm wanting a LD condinsor for mostly male vocals and another LD as a workhorse. I have about a $1200 budget.
Another point of interest; These mics will sometimes be used with the pres/eq's on the boards I use in the studio. I have been using a Venice(my live board) but have recently purched an Onyx for the Firewire option. Haven't got the Onyx yet but imagine it might have a similar British tone.
The Voice Master is more in question here.
Thanks everyone in advance. Always a wealth of knowledge on this board!!!!!!
May 25, 2005 @10:01pm
The Proffessor

Any thoughts on the C3 for the workhorse.
At that price it would free me up a little on the "mostly" vocal mic!!
May 25, 2005 @10:03pm
djui5

AT 4060 or 414 XLTLII or whatever it is.
May 25, 2005 @10:50pm
Ted

One I'd seriously consider is the new Mojave MA200, which I haven't had the chance to try out personally (yet...one's making the rounds and I'll have my chance), but I have heard recordings done with it and everyone who's tried it so far has just raved about it. And based on my experience with Royer ribbon microphones I'd say that David Royer knows what he's doing. If you're looking for a U47-ish tube microphone the consensus seems to be that this one nails that characteristic (not that it sounds exactly like one...not that U47's sound the same from one to the next). With your budget that doesn't leave a whole lot for your "utility" mic, but if you could squeeze out an extra $100 or so you'd probably do well with an Audio Technica 4040.
-Ted
May 25, 2005 @11:11pm
xstatic

Also keep in mind that there is absoultely nothing similar (sound quality wise) between a Mackie and a Venice. Personally, if you already have a Venice, I would forgo the Mackie and just get a good sound card. I actually like the preamps and especially the EQ much better on the Venice than on the platinum Focusrite line.
May 25, 2005 @11:50pm
The Proffessor

Thanks for the input guys!
X, I agree the Venice is SWEET!!! Easy to dial in a great mix in seconds.
Also, Ted the MA200 sounds great from what I've read, but alot of mics sound great in most reviews. I'd like to know what you think once you get a chance to use it.
So, say I were to purchase the MA200 for most of my vocal work. I'm still looking for my multi-pattern workhorse AND we've uped the anni to around $400 for the workhorse.
What would you guys suggest?
May 26, 2005 @04:44pm