We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

So, what's the best Christmas song of all time?

sadsongs

Hmm. So many nice tunes.
How about a few that weren't mentioned:
Linus & Lucy by Vince Guaraldi Trio (that cool Charlie Brown tune)
Patapan
The holly and the ivy
The Little Drummer Boy
Toyland
Winter wonderland (Walking in a)
And some more traditional tunes:
Angels we have hear on high
Auld Lang Syne ("If old acquaintance be forgot...")
Away in a manger
Deck the halls
Do you hear what I hear
Go tell it on the mountain
God rest ye merry gentlemen
HalleluYah Chorus (from "Messiah")
Hark! The herald angels sing
It came upon a midnight clear
Joy to the world
O Come, all ye faithful (AKA, Adeste Fideles)
O Come, O Come Emmanual
O Holy night
O Little Town of Bethlehem
Silent Night
Sleigh ride
The first Noel
We three kings (of Orient are)
We wish you a merry Christmas
What Child is This? (AKA, Greensleeves)
And please, no Satan--oops--Santa songs; okay, one:
Santa Baby (is cute, if naughty), sung by Eartha Kitt
Okay, and some other songs that are good tunes if not all in the Spirit of Christmas:
Carol of the bells
Dance ot the sugar plum fairy (Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker)
Feliz Navidad
Frosty the Snowman
Good King Wenceslas
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
He's got the whole world in His Hands
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
It's the most wonderful time of the year (depressing?)
Jingle bell rock, sung by Bobby Helms
Jingle bells
Let it snow
O Christmas tree (AKA, O Tannenbaum)
Rockin' around the Christmas tree
Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer
Silver bells
The Christmas Song ("Chestnuts roasting...")
The twelve days of Christmas
We three cows, from "It's a Cow Christmas" (Spinnaker Enterprises, Inc.); a favorite alt.
White Christmas
Okay, that's enough for now!
halleluYah! Praise Yah!
March 23, 2002 @12:20pm
Terry Wetzel

Definitely, the great Roy Orbison's "Pretty Paper" written by Willie Nelson !
Terry Wetzel
February 4, 2008 @09:51pm
Byll

For me, it would be one of two:
Either 'In the Bleak Midwinter', with music by Gustav Holst, or 'I Wonder as I Wander', composed by the folk-song collector John Jacob Niles, on a fragment of a tune he heard being sung by a young girl, in North Carolina.
My band used to do a lot of Christmas concerts. These two selections elicited more emotional response than any others...
Best to all.
Byll
February 19, 2008 @01:23am
cdanddvdpublisher

I don't really like country music but there is one country christmas song that gets stuck in my head every Christmas. Its called "Christmas Cookies" and I think its George Strait. It makes me laugh every time and its pretty catchy.
March 4, 2008 @07:07am
eamline

Christmas Favorites: "Being Alone for Christmas" & "Christmas Lullaby" by Len Francis Monahan

http://www.amazon.com/Songs-Len-Francis-Monahan-Independent/dp/B00160ZJR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1210356512&sr=8-1
May 9, 2008 @07:32pm
sadsongs

For me, it would be one of two:
Either 'In the Bleak Midwinter', with music by Gustav Holst, or 'I Wonder as I Wander', composed by the folk-song collector John Jacob Niles, on a fragment of a tune he heard being sung by a young girl, in North Carolina.
My band used to do a lot of Christmas concerts. These two selections elicited more emotional response than any others...
Best to all.
Byll

Hi Byll,
Which performance(s) of Bleak? I went to iTunes Music Store, and I found maybe hundreds! From Choirs to Instrumentals to Orchestral to Country-Folk to Jazz, to maybe Pop and Hip-Hop. But I didn't find one BY Gustav Holst! What group and album performance? (And if not on iTMS, What style, etc.?)
I Wonder as I Wander is also haunting, and there are many versions out there. Any particular version(s) of this?
What kind of band were you when you did these tunes? Name, area? (Now you can sort of "advertise" a bit, maybe, LOL. Just kidding.) :)
Thanks!
©2008 by me. All rights reserved.
May 9, 2008 @08:48pm
wicked stepmum

The best christmas song EVER has to be "I wish it could be christmas everyday" by Wizzard
December 11, 2008 @11:27pm
wolfgang69

My nuts roasting on an open fire.
February 23, 2009 @02:46pm
Lambo

My Grown-up Christmas List - Kelly Clarkson
March 3, 2009 @05:31pm
gibsonman

Tie
1.O Holy Night
2.Silent Night
March 6, 2009 @10:07pm
unclebean93

O Holy Night sang by Celine Dion or O Holy Night played by Trans Siberian Orchestra. Both are awesome and moving.
April 5, 2009 @08:54pm
Lmf

Silent Night
White Christmas - Bing Crosby
The Christmas Song - Mel Torme wrote it, but I like Nat King Cole's rendition.
Rudolph, the Red-Nose Reindeer - Gene Autry
' Tis the season to be jolly!
Lloyd
April 5, 2009 @09:21pm
CreationStationSounds

Donnie Hathaway. This Christmas. The all time fav.
April 12, 2009 @08:02pm
MoneylessRecording

Sorry for resurecting the old thread, but I'm new on the forum, and love Christmas, so I just had to post. My favorites have to be O Holy Night, sung by anyone with a great voice, but my favorite had to be a teacher at my hometown college, along with any arrangement from Manheim Steamroller or Transiberiean Orchestra.
November 3, 2009 @03:06am
irislogic

Old thread resurrector again! I'm a big fan of Christmas songs too, since they elicit so many good memories. Though that's funny for me to say, because the best Christmas song of all time for me isn't exactly a Christmas song - it's Auld Lang Syne, generally sung during New Year's. Anyway, I just like the lyrics and the slow way it's sung.
February 26, 2010 @05:11am
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!