0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 4

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

So, what's the best Christmas song of all time?

SidHighwind

It's Christmas, the season of joy and peace and good will. So, we chose our Question of the Week carefully. That's not to say we don't want your opinion, or course, but rather than something along the lines of "Is everyone who claims to have a 'Golden Ear' a pretentious liar?", we thought we'd go with a question less likely to incite bitterness, anger, and rancor.
So, what's the best Christmas song of all time? And if it's a "traditional" Christmas song, who recorded the best version of it? Clyde McPhatter and the Drifters version of "White Christmas?" "Father Christmas" by the Kinks? Have you ever heard "Wonderful Christmastime" as sung by the cast of "The West Wing"? It's a real treat. Anyway, what song gets your vote? Or maybe you believe there's no such thing as a good Christmas song. We want to hear from all the Grinches and Scrooges, too.
December 21, 2001 @08:09pm
Releaux

I'd have to go with "The Christmas Song" as performed by The Velvet Fog himself, Mel Torme.
December 21, 2001 @09:41pm
harewood

The sound that always comes to mind when I think Christmas song is "The Christmas Song" by Mel Torme as sung by Nat King Cole.
December 22, 2001 @12:29am
Paul D

I always liked CHRISTMAS TIME IN THE MOTOR CITY by WAS (NOT WAS)...
December 22, 2001 @02:50am
GASSMAN

Christmas Time is Here...Steve Vai
I always liked the song from the "Peanuts" specials and Vai has a great rendition.
December 22, 2001 @09:56am
Unregistered

I don't believe that there is any question that "The Christmas Song" by Mel Torme, sung by Nat King Cole is THE Christmas recording of all time. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without hearing this!
I also believe that running an extremely close second is Johnnie Mathis singing "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year". I'm not sure that the version on David Foster's is different from other versions of Johnnie Mathis', but the recording on Foster's Christmas CD is fabulous. The arrangement is terrific!
December 22, 2001 @04:50pm
Unregistered

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
December 22, 2001 @07:17pm
buddtopps89

I think that THE SONG is "This Christmas". It is a good song with a nice beat and it puts me in the Christmas spirit.
December 22, 2001 @08:33pm
UPCHUCK

Well, for just all around success of bringing "joy through music and lyric" to the hearts of millions of kids, I 've got to go with Gene Autry and Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, but I also liked "all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth", happy happy to all.
December 25, 2001 @02:42pm
markjbush

Oh Holy Night.
December 25, 2001 @03:31pm
BluezFly

How about
"You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch" as sung by the Whirling Dervishes
or as sung by Thurl Ravenscroft
December 27, 2001 @08:20pm
Unregistered

I have yet to track down an original recording, but Michael W. Smith on his recent Christmastime album did an awesome rendition of Kay Thompson's "Jingle Bells", which is certainly one of the best Christmas medleys.
December 28, 2001 @02:27am
myles

I couldnt tell you what the best Christmas song ever recorded is. But my favorite Christmas song is "This Christmas", sung by Donny Hathaway. I dont think anyone has sung a Christmas song with more emotion than he.
December 28, 2001 @03:11am
bandy320

White Christmas is my favorite song
December 28, 2001 @08:14pm
AnthemBassMan

"Santa Claus is Coming to Town" by Bruce Springsteen;)
L8R,
Matt D.
February 23, 2002 @12:19pm