rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Trident S100

uptoolate

Does anyone have any experience with the Trident S100 8 channel mixer? I am considering one as a front end to my daw, and also to use as a summing mixer on mix down. I have seen it advertised for $2,000 which seems like a great deal. Any info you could share would be much appreciated.
February 24, 2005 @03:23am
Spiritworks

I have three S100 units cascaded for 24 tracks installed in a custom console that I built. I am using the line in/outs through a Motu 2408.
The mic pres are satisfactory. All of John Oram's Trident/Oram gear is fantastic. I have an S40 channel strip which is incredible for vocals, and I use it for bass guitar. The S20 I use for keyboards and micing guitars. I have an Octasonic Plus for hi-fidelity/clean mic pres. You will not be disappointed with any Trident/Oram gear.
February 25, 2005 @05:55am
uptoolate

Would you mind describing how the pramps sound?
Thanks!
February 26, 2005 @06:08am
Spiritworks

They sound good, especially as they are in all reality part of the channel strip with that famous British warmth from the EQ. The problem is that they don't go very high, I think only 0 - 60 db. They are lightly colored, intentionally, and if you push you can get some nice coloration. Keep in mind, this unit was originally designed as a summing mixer, exactly how you want to use it. They decided to add the pres to make it a bit more flexible, but they wanted to keep the costs down. Are you buying used? 2K is a good deal on a new unit. I bought mine directly from the factory. I think here in the States you can buy them from Sonic Circus and Musician's Friend.
Take the main stereo out and send it to a Masterlink set at 96khz and you will love how it sounds.
HTH
February 26, 2005 @07:23am
uptoolate

Thanks for the info. I have already ordered the unit. I actually ordered it strait from John Oram himself which was really cool. I will be using as a summing mixer. But I do like the Idea of having the option to track through that eq.
Thanks again
February 27, 2005 @04:40am
Spiritworks

Good choice - you won't be disappointed. Yeah, I spoke to John several times by phone before and after I ordered my first piece of gear from him. It's amazing to have access to such a legend in the industry. I also met him and his crew in person at the AES show in New York back in 2003. He is a genuinely nice person.
I have my studio set up so I can mix down through the S100s and have access to all of their features, including the inserts, so I can even use outboard hardware processors along with the software ones in my DAW. People that insist on mixing "inside the box" just don't know what they're missing. Private me your email and I'll send you some pictures of my setup.
February 27, 2005 @05:20am
JohnnyUSA

Like to sell it also as I don't have a studio to use it in.
March 8, 2011 @03:13am