0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Is there a gadget that converts vocal to MIDI?

Jimmy James

Is there a gizmo on the market that will take analog input from a vocal mic and convert it to MIDI? If so, pls let me know who makes it.
Thx.
February 11, 2005 @04:31am
Spiritworks

I seem to remember seeing software that did this advertised somewhere,
February 11, 2005 @11:46am
TimOBrien

Possibly, but I think you'd be better off spending a bit of time and learning how to input midi yourself either on the piano roll or with a keyboard.
The computer between your ears is still far more powerful than any box you can buy out there....
February 12, 2005 @02:31am
i Robot Drone

If you have a computer that is capable of running Celemony's MelodyneStudio software (http://www.celemony.com), and a sweet, dulcet, vocal tone, you'll be able to record your vocals into this software recording environment and convert your monophonic vocal passages to MIDI data. Of course your computer will need to have an audio interface, with perhaps a mic pre built in if you don't have something already. I've been amazed at what this program can do with audio. Hopefully this is helpful in your quest for a gizmo for vocal to MIDI conversion...
February 14, 2005 @06:46pm
Jim Wintringham

Also, PG Music's 'Power Tracks' http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm
has an audio to midi converter. It is monophonic (1 note at a time)...and you'll find that you will have to 'tweek' the midi...to get all the notes correct...but it is inexpensive, and has a lot of other neat features.:)
February 15, 2005 @07:03pm
dendanna

Originally posted by i Robot Drone
If you have a computer that is capable of running Celemony's MelodyneStudio software (http://www.celemony.com), and a sweet, dulcet, vocal tone, you'll be able to record your vocals into this software recording environment and convert your monophonic vocal passages to MIDI data. Of course your computer will need to have an audio interface, with perhaps a mic pre built in if you don't have something already. I've been amazed at what this program can do with audio. Hopefully this is helpful in your quest for a gizmo for vocal to MIDI conversion...

Im backing this up, Ive tried the trial of this software and it works magic imho
May 10, 2005 @12:37pm
Ed Belknap

I remember the AES Show in New York back in the late 1980's where some clown was displaying his voice-to-MIDI converter...consisted of a transducer that strapped around your throat like a choker collar, then a ribbon cable feeding a rackmount processor. Actually tracked fairly well. Looked ridiculous, but such is the price for innovation. Can't remember what it was called.
May 10, 2005 @02:23pm
brucekdonaldson

Somewhere in my storage I have a mic that converts to MIDI. If I find it, I'll sell it for cheap, though it took practice to control.
I believe my old Digitech Studio Vocalist (not made anymore) will also convert. I use it to chorus, add harmony vocals, and vocorder FX controlled by a MIDI keyboard. I'll check it out to see if it goes the other way and let you know. For some reason, I believed that it did.
May 11, 2005 @07:21pm
MidiMagic

Of course, it won't be a voice anymore. MIDI just records the notes sung (in a sheet-music format), not the sounds made or the phomemes used.
But if you do get a MIDI representation of your voice, you can make an instrument track what you sing.
Repeat after me:
"MIDI does not transfer or record sound. It records the sheet music of what the notes played were, plays that sheet music into a sounder later, and synchronizes recording equipment."
May 19, 2005 @06:50pm
brucekdonaldson

Originally posted by MidiMagic
Of course, it won't be a voice anymore. MIDI just records the notes sung (in a sheet-music format), not the sounds made or the phomemes used.
But if you do get a MIDI representation of your voice, you can make an instrument track what you sing.
Repeat after me:
"MIDI does not transfer or record sound. It records the sheet music of what the notes played were, plays that sheet music into a sounder later, and synchronizes recording equipment."

MIDI Magic, I didn't get the impression that anyone here was confused about that.
May 19, 2005 @10:52pm
MidiMagic

I wasn't sure about the original poster. It seemed to me that he wanted analog to digital conversion isntead.
May 25, 2005 @07:00pm
brucekdonaldson

I understand. My point is that I've had peices that took MIDI and translated for a harmonizer, that also converted pitch to MIDI as well.
Unfortunately, I've been so beyond swamped that I haven't had a chance to check either of the 2 items that I have that do that.
May 25, 2005 @11:14pm
MultiMuse

Yes, the IVL Pitchrider was made to do just that, analog microphone input to MIDI code interface converter. It was designed by one company that sold it to another, etc. etc.
back in the 1980s, and was featured in mags e.g. Electronic Musician (formerly Polyphony), etc. I never saw one or knew anyone who used one, but I think they were the first pioneering device to hit the market, and others followed.
Just Google for IVL MIDI, or IVL Pitchrider.
Also see URL:
http://www.ibiblio.org/emusic-l/back-issues/vol044/issue08.txt
June 16, 2006 @08:59pm
MultiMuse

June 16, 2006 @09:02pm