Free Shipping with no minimum purchase. Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Rupert Neve Recording Gear Giveaway - March 2015
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boss DR-880 experience?

Anyone out there used the new Boss DR-880 yet? Likes? Dislikes?
    Andrew Koenig
    http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/authors/koenig

I saw it today locally at the Guitar Center..spent about 45 minute tinkering around with it. Sounds are awesome, lots of flexiiblity for composing patterns. I downlodaded the manual and am reading it right now to decide if I want to take the plunge...the older I get , the less I want to deal with the learning curve...but sang, it sounds really great adn the bass guitar sounds are good.. as a keyboard player, the guitar effects are not that important but would be fun if a buddy came over I suppose.

I use mine every weekend in the studio. Can't say enough good about it. If you are going to spend the money, keep on going up to the 880, it is well worth it.
    --
    rct

The opinons above are mine and mine alone.

OK, so I bought one a while ago and am now trying to figure out how to use it most effectively.

Here's my problem: My first project is to use it to store a rhythm track that I want to use to back myself up for live performance (I'll be playing guitar and singing). I want the DR-880 to play both bass and drums.

My first problem is that I want the DR-880's bass lines to avoid repetition, but to have a constant rhythmical pulse from the drums. Because a pattern is always bass *and* drums, I think I have to manually repeat the drums in each pattern.

So is the following a sensible strategy? Pick a convenient phrase length--say, 4 measures--and lay down an appropriate drum pattern. Then copy that as necessary and add the kind of convoluted, meandering bass line I'm looking for. Finally, combine the patterns as needed into a song.

If I do this, and there is a part in which I want to repeat a pattern several times, is there any way of doing this short of incorporating the pattern several times into the song? I couldn't find it in the manual.

I wish Boss would make a program that I could use to edit the patterns on my computer and upload them to the DR-880...
    Andrew Koenig

Hello Ark, did you check the Boss SP-606 ? it has sampling capabilities, a software from Cakewalk for you to biuld your own patterns, a 4 tracks sequencer, and it's only $200 more than the dr 880.

Rgds,
    Diego

It's a little late to switch now, as I have already bought the 880. Anyway, I would like to stay in the pure MIDI domain.

But since my last posting, I've learned a lot about the DR-880.

The main problem, I think, is that the manual is full of details but doesn't say much about strategy, so it was hard for me to figure out how to get it to do what I wanted it to do. But I think I'm getting the hang of it.

What kind of surprises me is that there appears to be no way to repeat a pattern as part of a song. That is, if I have a 4-measure pattern and I want it to fill 16 measures in the song, I have to call for the pattern four times.

On the other hand, I have found that the "EZ-Compose" feature is more flexible than I had expected, because when I'm done, I can save the pattern that results and edit it separately.
    Andrew Koenig

memory

i guess most of you are familiar with the dr 880 and its qualities.. but what about the memory ??? is it my poor ability or is the memory really limited ??? altough the user manual says 100 songs.. i can hardly save 5 songs on the dr 880

is a laptop and the usb port the only way to handle a reasonable number of songs ?

if anyone has a better solution ..please post .. i love the dr 880 for the sounds.. the efects too although limited... and the bass, but how am i supposed to program if i can save ???

ty all

the Dr - 880

I have had mine for a month and a half now and hope to get this thread going again. I LOVE the sounds in this 880. It sounds better than any other drum machine i have ever had and I have had quite a few now. The sounds in this are the best i have heard. I also have EZ drummer and none of the kits sound as good as the 880 sounds.

Does anyone know how to turn off the metronome when recording in real time?

The manual is somewhat repetitive and I can not find anywhere on turning the metronome on or off or even how to turn it down.

How do I use my PC software ezdrummer to write midi drum files and down load the midi file / pattern into the 880? does anyone know how to do this?
    Happy 4th!

Hi

I've also got the boss dr.rythm 880 and just got the ez drummer, I would very like to know how to program the ez drummer with midi and then transfer my beats to the 880. The programming part on the 880 totally sucks! It's so hard to program on it and very hard to have and overview of what you're doing if that makes sence. I too would like to get this thread going cause i think we could get something really interesting learning out of it. go this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra
    I've also got the boss dr.rythm 880 and just got the ez drummer, I would very like to know how to program the ez drummer with midi and then transfer my beats to the 880. The programming part on the 880 totally sucks! It's so hard to program on it and very hard to have and overview of what you're doing if that makes sence. I too would like to get this thread going cause i think we could get something really interesting learning out of it. go this thread!
    Hey! Lots of people looking but nobody is saying anything. I just brought the DR-880 and found a lot of online demos at http://www.bossus.com For what it's worth it is a good place to start.

I purchased one for use in a live band. The DR880 is a TRAIN WRECK for live use. I have used many drum machines, however this thing is NOT for live use. I was allready using the dr770 and went back to it. The 880 sounds great but it is NOT user friendly for stage use, at least it was not for me. I took it back to the store.
    Last edited by charbobs; 11-07-2008 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by charbobs
    I purchased one for use in a live band. This thing is a train wreck for live use. I have used many drum machines, however this thing is NOT for live use. I was allready using the dr770 and went back to it. The 880 sounds great but not user friendly for stage use, at least it was not for me. I took it back to the store.
    I can do one better. I had the cheaper DR-3 which I use live and have recorded with. I went back to using the DR-3 for a live show BUT I can see some serious potential for the DR-880. Agreed it doesn't seem too user friendly for live gigs but I was able to put together some very intricate chord progressions which inspired me to write a song. So its not a total wash. I can see its forte is going to be in the studio for practice, jamming, song writing and recording. Beyond that I'm not too sure!
    SoloArtist

Eclectic Sound
    Give-Aways & Gear Reviews

Question

Owner manual not user friendly. I am going to order the teaching dvd.
    Love the drum sounds but i need to learn this thing inside out and the owners manual just doesn't seem to help someone like myself who is new to programming. I read the manual and feel that I am over my head.

Has anybody used the dvd?

http://www.illustriousday.com

Quote Originally Posted by ark View Post
    I wish Boss would make a program that I could use to edit the patterns on my computer and upload them to the DR-880...
    It's called MIDI, you should learn how to use it.

I really wish boss would make a drum machine that didn't allow you to press sounds on the pads or program it with their horrible step sequencer, and just let the machine take/store midi instructions and play the samples within it.

Editing on one of these is ridiculous and BOSS is pushing this concept that there's someone who could afford this drum machine but not a computer from 20 years ago to edit simple MIDI sequences. If BOSS "made a program" it would be terrible compared to the easy and free MIDI editors already available, and not only that but it would lead you to question how they can tack on so many useless features into these machines instead of simply stripping them down and assuming their user has a laptop or computer available to program the machine with.

I guess if you have no computer and no knowledge of MIDI it is important to include a terrible step sequencer on your drum machine with tiny rubber pads to make sounds for the last few decades.

The short answer is that they could strip most of the junk off of this and someone programming it via a computer would never miss it. They would make less money though, so you won't see it any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by frott View Post
    It's called MIDI, you should learn how to use it.
    Ha ha, very funny.

I'm perfectly capable of using MIDI. The trouble is that the DR-880 doesn't offer a straightforward way of uploading a MIDI file into its memory. You have to import the file, then go through this little dance to tell it where you want to put the file.

And if a pattern is already in the DR-880's memory, I can't see any way to get it out short of playing it back and capturing the playback.
    Andrew Koenig