We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Please help me understand live/studio setup to be able to create and sometimes record

Sg87

Hello all,
Humble newbie here approaching all those with knowledge and experience for some assistance.
I'm wanting to get a set up going with a focus on hardware. I want to be able to sit down and create music in my home without my computer being a huge part of the equation (at least for now!) and also be able to eventually perform live.
This guy has been a huge inspiration for me lately - this video gives a general picture of what he's got going on:

Only thing is, I don't understand fully how to set this all up.
Some gear I'm considering buying right now, in addition to monitor speakers, are the Roland TR-8, Korg Volcas and/or synth like a Mininova or Microkorg, Kpad+.....but what I'm unsure of is all the other stuff that I'm sure needs to be taken into consideration which I may be missing.
- I want to be able to jam live, on the fly, with just the gear all hooked up going to my speakers. Is a mixer what I need for that? Just one with enough channels for all my gear to plug into it, and then into the speakers from there?
- When I eventually want to record stuff using my computer, then I would want a USB Audio interface? So synth/TR-8/etc ---> mixer ---> interface ---> laptop and speakers? Is that anything close to correct?
In short, I want to understand what I need to be able to go from gear to speakers, and from gear to a computer for recording and/or messing around in a DAW. I've been doing a lot of research...but I could use some assistance filling in some gaps.
Thank you for your time and everything,
Sg87
February 8, 2015 @06:17am
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!