0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
GuitarMonth 2015

Considering a second keyboard

I play primarily Christian Contemporary, which is basically rock, some gospel, and to a lesser extent reggae. I just bought a Korg Krome 73 and I love it. I need a 2nd keyboard for my set up. Currently I use and old X5D, because I have it. It was the first keyboard I bought for myself, so I'll probably keep it even after it no longer works. It's really good on synth stuff, pads, and the organs are decent. But admittedly it lacking the more up to date sounds that I need. Any suggestions for a good 61 key top keyboard. I really like the Hammond SK1, the organs are amazing, but I don't think the pads are adequate. I was thinking and old Yamaha MM6 of of eBay would work best. Anyone know how the mx61 compares? Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by KeysNupe1911; 04-18-2014 at 09:39 AM.

The MX61 is much better. It has the Motif XS sound set. I always felt the MM6 was just a toy...

But why do you need 2 keyboards? I also play contemporary Christian music with our church band and just use my good old Korg Triton. You can easily set up layers and splits on your Krome if you need to have more sounds--have you tried that?

But yeah, it's easy to want more keyboards. I've been collecting synths for a long time. I'd also like to get a Hammond, it's just not in the budget.
    Last edited by Synthologist; 04-22-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthologist View Post
    The MX61 is much better. It has the Motif XS sound set. I always felt the MM6 was just a toy...

But why do you need 2 keyboards? I also play contemporary Christian music with our church band and just use my good old Korg Triton. You can easily set up layers and splits on your Krome if you need to have more sounds--have you tried that?

But yeah, it's easy to want more keyboards. I've been collecting synths for a long time. I'd also like to get a Hammond, it's just not in the budget.

It's also difficult to switch quick enough during songs. I'll sometimes play the tag and need to go to strings or organ quickly. Splits and layers can help, but it's a lot of prep when you play weekly. I figure by going with another manufacture I'll have access to even mor sounds. Now with 2 Korgs there's a lot of redundancy.

I'd recommend visiting your local pro music store. Check out what Korg, Roland and Yamaha have to offer. Would you consider buying used?

What is your budget?

........ you're welcome.

Cool I'm Sorry

Internet down at the house for a bit. I kept getting locked out trying to log in on my phone. Even though I could not respond, I did try playing different boards. Thank you. I think Yahmaha is my best bet. I really want the SK1, but an MX 61 would probably give me the most versatility at the best price. I still kind of like the MM6. If I got a good deal on ebay I might still pick it up. I like the sounds, and it's dirt cheap. I'll probably end getting a MX61 though. I think that will give me the most versatility during service.

OK... Sorry about your Internet. I assume you are in the USA? Pennsylvania here. Quiet, slightly boring town.

Most people here don't know anything about synthesizers. When you do see a live band, it's usually country/folksy/bluegrass. Anyway, keep in mind that most keyboards in the under $1000 category today are "disposable." Just not built very well, and many keybeds are quite mushy.

I really like my Korg M3, it's definitely built to last.

Any progress on your keyboard search?

I think I'm going to hold out until I can afford an SK1 or a Fantom. I've read other boards where people have asked a similar question, and the X5D came up as a good cheap 2nd keyboard... That's what I have. Over the past couple of weeks, I've learned that the Krome really can do everything I need. The sounds are great, I even had an organ solo last Sunday that came out amazing. so If I'm going to compliment my rig, it's best not to waste 500-800 bucks on something I'll eventually want to replace. I think the Hammond SK1 or the Roland Fantom x6 seems work for what I do the best, so I'll just hold out. The Krome and the X5D are doing what they need to at this point. Thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by KeysNupe1911 View Post
    I've learned that the Krome really can do everything I need. The sounds are great, I even had an organ solo last Sunday that came out amazing.
    Sounds good to me. Have fun with it!

Don't forget Kurzweil