0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 4

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Sound System set up in a Gym/Worship Hall

bn328h

Hi guys,
I work for a summer camp that is building a gym/worship center and it's my responsibility to buy and install the sound system. It's a steel framed building that has drywall all the way around up to 12 feet, and on the S and E walls drywall up to 25 feet high. The idea is to have the band be on the west wall and the sound booth is already installed on the E wall. We're building our own snake due to cost reasons and the fact that our manager and myself are more than comfortable soldering connectors. We built the building with electricity high on the west wall so that we can use powered speakers and fly them from the frame.
Right now, I'm thinking that we will end up getting the new Mackie SRM 550s for the mains (I was thinking 4) and using the thump 12s as monitors. It's not going to be a fancy set up, but I'd like to get the best sound possible from what we can afford. I've already got the mixer and the snake cable thanks the wonderful folks at Sweetwater (their main facility is only 30 mins away, but they don't do on site consultations).
What I want to know is what kind of arrangement I should put the speakers in... I was thinking 2 closer to the center of the wall and then two about 12-15ft in from the corners. The acoustics are that of a gym, but We want to carpet some of the walls eventually and put in some other acoustic helps. Any suggestions on how where to put the speakers is appreciated. (the gym dimensions are 80x60 with the speakers on the long side.
Thanks in advance for any help!
February 13, 2014 @09:25pm
Wrider

Hi guys,
I work for a summer camp that is building a gym/worship center and it's my responsibility to buy and install the sound system. It's a steel framed building that has drywall all the way around up to 12 feet, and on the S and E walls drywall up to 25 feet high. The idea is to have the band be on the west wall and the sound booth is already installed on the E wall. We're building our own snake due to cost reasons and the fact that our manager and myself are more than comfortable soldering connectors. We built the building with electricity high on the west wall so that we can use powered speakers and fly them from the frame.
Right now, I'm thinking that we will end up getting the new Mackie SRM 550s for the mains (I was thinking 4) and using the thump 12s as monitors. It's not going to be a fancy set up, but I'd like to get the best sound possible from what we can afford. I've already got the mixer and the snake cable thanks the wonderful folks at Sweetwater (their main facility is only 30 mins away, but they don't do on site consultations).
What I want to know is what kind of arrangement I should put the speakers in... I was thinking 2 closer to the center of the wall and then two about 12-15ft in from the corners. The acoustics are that of a gym, but We want to carpet some of the walls eventually and put in some other acoustic helps. Any suggestions on how where to put the speakers is appreciated. (the gym dimensions are 80x60 with the speakers on the long side.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Try to angle the two middle speakers to a center point at the rear wall. Okay, if it's the sound booth which should be baffled to prevent a false interpretation of venue ambience. Run the other two cabinets in line a few feet off the side walls, angled slightly at equal adjacent points either side of the center rear wall.
Most resonance will phase or dissipate at the refraction as the 'real time' sound is what is desired.
An equalization (EQ) unit (perhaps the board EQ) will help to tune frequencies and use the venue to an advantage and not a low frequency multiplier.
Dynamic mics with a tight cardioid pattern should be used to prevent monitor feedback as any sensitive condenser mics should not be in the monitor field.
I hope this can help give you ideas.
February 21, 2014 @08:14am